Mini stage monitor???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badgrandad, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I play every week in a location that the bass frequencies pile up so bad I can't turn my amp up loud enough to hear on stage but it is too much in the room. My wife (my greatest supporter) even thinks its too loud in the room but it is almost inaudible on stage. Would a small "mini" monitor be the fix for this? It seems that a small 5 - 8 " monitor wouldn't put out too much into the room but would give me some sound in my face so to speak. Any one know of such a monitor? (BTW the stage volume is fairly light)
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Galaxy Hot Spot monitors are probably what you are referring to. They make a powered and unpowered version that can sit on a mic stand. They work great.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    An EA VL-108 would be about perfect, I would think. Of course, you'd need an amp to run it, like a AI Clarus SL. That would be a wonderful little rig, but perhaps too much $$$. What about a small practice amp? The Phil Jones Briefcase might do a good job. Or even the tremendous bang for the buck Fender Bassman 25 (or RAD Bass, if you get an old one).

You have options...
  4. Thanks for the input so far! I am using my GK400rbiv to power my rig, so I'm mostly looking for a speaker choice. I first used a 2x10 cab and it was too much. I then borrowed a Hartke kickback 10 and still couldn't turn it up enough to hear it well when it was down at my feet. I am afraid that I need a small cab that I can stand-mount or can be set on the floor but won't throw too much into the room. Seems like I need the opposite of what most companies are making (something that can't be heard far away but can be heard only close up)! Oh BTW I play a 5-string. :crying:
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are using a 5-string, and you want strong low-b on stage, then a VL-110 might be a better choice. The VL-108 will still let you hear everything, it just won't have a lot of low end output. And all EA cabs have that handle on the bottom that lets you tilt it back so that you can hear it. The Wizzy might not be a bad cab, either.
  6. My recommendation is to forget about the fundamentals on stage. The Bassmen (?) amps from Fender are on clearance at Musicians Fiend - $150 for the B'man 25, $200 for the 60 (12"x60 watts). Turn the bass eq down and crank up the volume. If you need to put the amp on a chair.
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Put the Kickback on a cushioned chair??
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd suggest that instead of changing equipment, you experiment with changing EQ. I can't tell you how many times I hear bassplayers on small stages pumping out low frequencies with no mids, and they wonder why the room is getting overwhelmed yet they can't hear themselves.

Try cutting the bass way back, and boost the mids. I'm willing to bet you will hear definition on stage just fine, with none of the low end rumbling that is causing problems out in the room.
  9. Whatever amp or cab you use, rising it up from the floor is a good idea. Also, keep it away from the walls.
  10. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    an amp stand is a good attempt at a remedy. Can elevate your amp a foot or more and put it closer to your ears.... worth a shot for 30 bucks before going to extremes..
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I had a similar problem a while ago and enlisted TB for help. I got some great suggestions in this thread. . Hope it helps.
  12. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Get yourself one of these. It will reduce the coupling effect of a cabinet that is placed on the floor. In addition, if you reduce the amount of bass eq on your amp/bass, you'll cut through a lot better. You can still use that 2x10 or get a 1x10.

14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    r u kidding?

:D i use two of those on an Ultimate keyboard stand (the table version that you can get up high) - gets my 2 112's up close to my ears AND gets rid of any coupling! GRAMMA's rock! ;)
  15. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I recently saw a Roland Cube monitor for keyboard with a 6" driver that sounded very good.
  16. The Auralex Gramma Pad is great. I never leave home with out it.... I also have two. Many uses too. Lately I've been using both under my Berg 112s to lift it a bit more. Also Eric's suggestion of first trying more equing is a good suggestion.

What kind of cab are you using that you can't hear yourself clearly?
  17. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
  18. Thanks even more for the suggestions. I had practice last night and turned the bass frequencies down until they were all the way off. Its amazing how much you can cut and still have a decent sound once the band joins in. It was weird at first, but after a while I barely noticed and infact could still get a little growl on the low notes. Started with a little off and just worked my way down. I probably still need to raise the amp up closer to my ears so I can cut the volume, and hope all sound well in the songs where all the instruments drop out except bass/drums or bass/acoustic.
  19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if the eq stuff is working for you maybe you should look into an amp stand. also, you can try using your amp as a side fill and pointing it sideways at the rest of the band to see how that sounds.