Mini SVT Rock Rig ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pstone_foo, May 12, 2002.

1. pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I am trying to nail down the tone of a slightly overdriven SVT though an 8X10 cab, BUT in my basement at relatively low volumes (I know this is a contradiction!).

I have an Ampeg B-15R, 100W all tube amp head, but need a small cab to go with it. The 15 inch cab I have that is part of the B-15R system is way too "boomy" for my low/mid volume practicing.

Options I am considering are:

Euphonic Audio EA 110
    Eden CXM 110
    Epifani 110
    SWR Workingman's extension 10 inch cab

Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would probably try a 1x12. There are many good ones out thier now. The Aguilar seems to be a good deal.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I agree.

a 12" will have better low end response. you'll need at least a 2x10 for sometihng satisfying.

also, consider getting a Line6 Bass Pod. it'll mimic whatever you want and do it nicely.
  4. pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks for the feedback.......

So is it basically impossible to get solid low end out of a single 10" cab at a lower volume? I would like to stay away from using a 12" or 15 " (they rattle the duct work in my basement!).

My hope would be that if I forked-out a good chunk of change for an EA or Epifani 10" cab, that it would be capable of producing good lows..... again, maybe this is physically not possible?
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Actually, if you want low-end from a small cab at low volumes, look Acme. My Low-B1 1x10 sounds awesome, just at low to medium volume levels.

In lieu of a POD, you could also try a SansAmp for that SVT overdrive.
  6. Just crank it and save the extra amp money for bail and a plumber:D
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass