1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mini Tour via airline: Bring a backup bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Hell no, that'd be a huge pain!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Of course, what are you, crazy?

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. For those of you who travel regularly to gigs via airline, do you bring a backup bass?

I'm on the fence... I have 5-6 shows lined up in CA this spring for which I'll use my favorite modded P with EMGs - the upside of which is I can easily bring a spare set of strings and electronics and do a complete repair in a hotel room with minimal tools, and get parts or even a whole new bass at a guitar center if things went very wrong. But if anything went wrong during a gig (which it never has, knock on Alder) I'd be stuck doing an emergency repair or begging for a spare from the opening band. What do you touring pros normally do?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    When I tour via airline I'm not worried about something going wrong during the gig; I am worried about something going wrong during the flight...or during the loading/unloading of luggage at the airport. If there's any chance you can't keep your bass with you in the cabin as carry-on luggage, bring two basses

...and then make sure you still bring at least one of them in the cabin as carry-on luggage.

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Yes. For fly dates I carried on one bass or stashed 2 and prayed.

4. That's my other question. If I do bring two, do I check one and try to carry the other on or do I carry them both on in a dual case? I'm a little leery of what they'll say if I hand some flight attendant a 20+lb Mono M80, plus it's seen better days.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I take mine on board and they hang it in the closet.

This happens way too much: