Mini Tour via airline: Bring a backup bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Hell no, that'd be a huge pain!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Of course, what are you, crazy?

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. For those of you who travel regularly to gigs via airline, do you bring a backup bass?

I'm on the fence... I have 5-6 shows lined up in CA this spring for which I'll use my favorite modded P with EMGs - the upside of which is I can easily bring a spare set of strings and electronics and do a complete repair in a hotel room with minimal tools, and get parts or even a whole new bass at a guitar center if things went very wrong. But if anything went wrong during a gig (which it never has, knock on Alder) I'd be stuck doing an emergency repair or begging for a spare from the opening band. What do you touring pros normally do?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    When I tour via airline I'm not worried about something going wrong during the gig; I am worried about something going wrong during the flight...or during the loading/unloading of luggage at the airport. If there's any chance you can't keep your bass with you in the cabin as carry-on luggage, bring two basses

...and then make sure you still bring at least one of them in the cabin as carry-on luggage.

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Yes. For fly dates I carried on one bass or stashed 2 and prayed.

4. That's my other question. If I do bring two, do I check one and try to carry the other on or do I carry them both on in a dual case? I'm a little leery of what they'll say if I hand some flight attendant a 20+lb Mono M80, plus it's seen better days.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I take mine on board and they hang it in the closet.

This happens way too much:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022