Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mini wall of sound & cab thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    In going through some old BP mag articles & Rick Turners discussion of the 'wall of sound' concept used by the grateful dead, i got to thinking...

now, the assertion is that a colum of speakers reproduces bass frequencies much better because it acts less like a point source (which emits sound in a hemispherical shape, with a large surface area) .... this decreases the surface area, which spreads the energy over less area .... my explanation is poor, but it all makes sense if you read the articles

anyways.... i was thinking, a 4x10 cab arranged in a column shape instead of a box, so it would be the height of an 8x10, but only half the width..... would this not function *much* better than a 4x10 in the configuration that we normally see?

is this practical? are there any examples of this?

seems to me to be obviously better, but maybe i'm missing something?

anyone with some speaker skoolin' care to comment?

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Of course it works better. Many people actually do do this, usually with two 2x10s. If you look at the EA NL-210 its arranged vertically, and the AShdown ABM210 has feet so it can be arranged either way. Im sure someone on this board has a tower of 2 Acme B2's.

I think the reason many manufactures dont do 4x10s this way is because of the impractical shape.

Jack.

3. I built a 4x8 box with a vertical array of drivers for the same reason you are exploring. The main purpose is to increase clarity and reduce comb filtering along the horizontal plane. Many people can explain it better. There is some good reading on the internet if you type "vertical array" into your web search. There are other benifits (which I can't remember)if you are able to line up drivers from floor to ceiling but that isn't very practical.

If you wanted to go this route simply use multiples of 2x10 cabs stacked vertically.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  5. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I sometimes use 2 wayne jones 2x10's stacked vertically they sound better that way in my opionion

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The 4x as popularized by Jim Marshall was an prime example of how not to build a speaker. He did it that way because he didn't know any better. He was a drummer after all, not an engineer. It's been done that way ever since because it's what sells. Vertical is the right way to do it but lacks sales appeal.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  8. IMO, stacking a small number of speakers vertically 'sounds better' primarily due to the top speaker being closer to ear level. While vertical arrays sounding better is supported by a lot of literature, I believe it takes a lot more than putting two tens on top of another two tens to really get the full effect. Now, the GD 'Wall of Sound' was another story, but the very slight difference between 4 tens vertically arrayed vs. 'side by side' seems very, very subtle to my ear out in the room.

In a number of A/B situations with my (former) Acme 210's stacked either vertically or sitting next to one another, the vertical stack sounded better on-stage when you were standing next to them.... virtually no difference 'out in the room'... maybe a slight loss of low end due to the second small cab being 'uncoupled' from the floor.