Miniature Spray Booths?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mnelson, Aug 27, 2001.

1. mnelson

Aug 5, 2001

Has anyone ever heard of some sort of miniature spray booth for body/neck finishing? I've seen them in the scale model world, and was wondering if there was something similar for ametuer guitar builders/repairers.

In general, what are you all doing when it comes time to let the chemicals fly?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhhhh...I found out the hard way how important it is to have proper ventilation and wear a mask. Also, drop cloths are a good idea (man, is my landlord gonna be steamed). :D
  3. I once saw one made out of a big card board box, a fan and one of those hose/conduit things that comes out of a dryer. You could probly make a more perminint one out of some plywood, you just hace to find a powerfull motor with a fan the same diameter as the cloths dryer. Or maby you could find an old thing that you put over your stove. and just buit and enclousure with that on top
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    A pressurized jet should work fine. :D
  5. Time to come out of lurk mode...

The vapor from spray painting is one of the most volatile, dare I say, EXPLOSIVE things that civilians can get ahold of. The motors of standard fans aren't designed to work in hazardous vapors and the small sparks from their brushes will ignite this vapor. The result will be, at least, a flash fire and at worst, a house leveling explosion!

For non-professionals, it is best to just work in as dust free an area with lots of natural ventilation. If you can, wet the floor to keep the dust down. Then after spraying open up the enclosure to let the vapors escape. There aren't many shortcuts that can be taken here folks. It's just the nature of the beast. The modelers can get away with some of the smaller spraybooths because the amount of spray is near minimal compared to coating out an entire bass body. If you want to use an old refrigerator outside, spray the item, then close the door, that would work fine but by all means stay away from electrical components with the spray.
  6. :eek: oops, from now on, no one take my advice unless someone seconds my idea:rolleyes:
  7. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I guess my electrostatic-paint-bonding Van de Graaf generator system with ether-cooling is going to have to wait for that bunker to get done ...