1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Minicab quiz...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avezzano, Jul 23, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Cool! What are the specs on the cabs/speakers?

2. two CIARE CM161 in series: 4 ohm each 80 w rms; so the overall cab is 8 ohm and holds 160 w rms; read the last link I just posted. This cab is really INCREDIBLE alone already; just imagine two!!!!!

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Oh! I remember reading that! Too bad I'm nowhere close to Italy. I'd like to try some DB through some mini cabs and mini amps some day.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Have you tried a vertical stack on a gig yet?

Great job!

5. I thought about that, too, even if I don't frankly think really it's anything "better" than a more traditional side by side placement, despite all the voodoo about that... for me the only advantage would only be less space occupied on stage, actually...

;)

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    You get better mid and upper range dispersion with them stacked. You know how a Marshall/412 guitar rig is incredibly directional (beaming) if you walk from side to side in front of it? Same concept, different package. If all you care about is lows & low mids, it doesn't matter too much though. ;)

7. I will give it a try for sure: the quest for "lows & low mids only" has ended long time ago...

;)

8. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I would like to listen to this! Any vid? :D

What made you decide towards that speaker model? Maybe I can find something similar here

9. no, unluckily no video and I don't have a clue how to do it, in this hyper techno world!!! I am an old mammouth, I guess.

If you want to build one, for sure you can find similar drivers anywhere. In any case try to find the Ciare CM161, if you can, that to me is a real bomb: very efficient, a round sound that hits you like a punch and lots of presence, too.

The nice additional bonus is that a cab like that won't cost an arm and a leg: in total I spent here in Italy something like less than 130 euro!!!

What drove me to buy these speakers: availability, price and data sheet; if you look at it, the amp/freq overall response is good and well extended below 100 hz, indication of a possible excellent overall response when in a cab; efficiency: 95 dB 1w/1m. Fs 66 hz (reson. freq.). I only made this cab for pure fun and just to have an alternative to my Polytone Minibrute I as home practice amp. I never thought frankly it would have turned out so good!!!! A little tone monster :)

On Ebay.it in general they sell them as a couple because for car stereo they are a hot selling item; but I asked directly to Ciare and they confirmed that these are absolutely suited for musical instruments, since the CM161 building technology is aimed at that task "Doped paper cone, fabric surround" (the equivalent for HI-FI is the PM160 that is 8 ohm).

I paid something like 84 euro per couple (including shipping) here in Italy. Try to send a couple of lines to any of these sellers and see what they say... I bought from this "Biotonique" e-bay seller and they were superfast and professional...

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ciare+cm161&_sacat=See-All-Categories

also give a look at the Faital Pro line... shoot a couple of lines to them, too

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/lf.php

10. Samurai1993, look at these below: the first could be just good for you. Look at the data: good response amp/freq, hi efficiency and hi power handling. Suspension "triple roll" good for musical instruments (look at the pictures). Fs is 130 hz, higher than CM161 but they claim it to be a Low Freq driver.... The second one is even better but I suspect they both cost a lot, anyway. Just search on the net...

B&C 6MD38

B&C 6MDN44

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

Ha! I was gonna answer "eight of them!" but I can see how a pair would be a good start. Nice work.

12. And what about 16 of them? (See this Phil Jones 6" x 32)!!! ;)

[​IMG]

In the meantime I tried the vertical placement; even if only at home it realy seems to make some difference. Boy if I like this combination: if one was good already with two it pours out lows and lows with definition... incredible.

I dare to be blasphem: wonder why do we need 8" and 10" anymore... now I get what the Phil Jones frenzy is about...

34die7t.

13. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I'll take a look! What specs do you suggest for this speakers? Apart from the Watts and the frequency response (that I think should be around the 100 to 8000 hz range), I'm quite lost :D speakers is an obscure world for me hehe

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    We need 8"s and 10"s and 12"s and 15"s because of efficiency vs. cost.

Just sayin'...(I know that phrase irritates a lot of folks...that's why I use it ;) )

15. JimmyM, I don't know: my two Ciare costed 84 euro delivered (both!).... but in general, I would say yes you're right. But you can't beat the satisfaction of having a real small cab that barks like a big one and looking at the faces of your bandmates...!!!

What do I suggest... I am no expert, so what you already know is good to start, but I would commence reading something here and there (plenty of stuff on the net and here on TB); I would add that a low resonant frequency (Fs) would be preferred. Download WinIsd (shareware) and make your own calculation inserting the speakers parameters you'll find in the datasheet and the volume of the box you want, to determine the vent-tube dimensions. Just try and build one with any two 6" at a reasonable cost you'll find: you won't be disappointed.... just be sure they are for musical instruments and they are specified as either "woofer" or "mid woofer" and not as "midrange".... keep us updated... ;) V.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm sure they're terrific, Virgilio. I've heard the little 2 x 6 cabs before. Not those but Phil Jones and Markbass. They sound quite good and I'll bet your rig smokes, especially with a stack of 4. But it takes considerably more of them to do what a single 15" can do. If you figure your standard 210 and 115's put out equal amounts of air (roughly), then you're looking at what? I don't know...4 or 5 6"s to push that much air?

I'm not judging the 6"s in any way, though. It's a valid concept. And it's not a 6" but I have a little Ampeg BA108 with an 8" and it won't get loud but it sounds nice and full. You can make bass cabs out of any size speaker you want and they should all sound right provided the speakers are built right for the enclosure. But for larger jobs, the attraction to larger speakers becomes apparent when you do a cost analysis ;)

17. for sure, JimmyM; if I was a pro on a large stage obviously the bigger the better, even if this does not always apply. I am just amazed at how much "beer" comes out from these tiny boxes, that weigh less than 10 kg each (22 lbs approx), and at the quickness of the response (attack).

Therefore, as a "once every ten years" builder I take out from the equation the "cost analysis": spending X or X,2 is perfectly equal, I would say.

On a personal level, speaking "in absolute", in the same way I never liked the Precision bass and therefore never owned one (never will) I don't like the 15": slow and less defined than 10". 10" seems to be the best compromise, for me, at least. But as usual opinions and tastes...

;)

P.S.: where is the red hat avatar? That makes you immediately recognizable....

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! I haven't paid the $20. If I have something to sell it'll return, but it'll be slightly modified...was going to post the modification, but it's a little gross ;)

19. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    yeah i miss the devo vibe too... hey i'll buy one of your 810's for 20 bucks...