Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

minidisc to pc...help me pleeez!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by conor_maccarthy, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Howya. Could anyone tell me how to put minidisc recordings on to a pc. i have a recording of my jazz band and want to make a cd of it. i can put material i have on the pc to minidisc, but not the other way...do i need software or hardware?..can i get software free online? help me!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The easiest way I can think of is use the headphone out jack on your minidisc player or stereo, and use a 3.5mm stereo jack male to 3.5mm stereo jack male lead (mine cost about £4)

Put this into your mic in on your soundcard, and record it - using whatever recorder you have in windows. Just make sure that your mic level is set high enough!

Hope this helps! (BTW - there are probably smarter ways of doing it, but I just used this method to go from 8 track recorder to PC on a tight budget!)

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You should be able to do it on wav studio. You need to set up the input out put selectors but thats all. Oh don't go in the red on the meters.

Another option is to buy guitarist magazine; the one with knopfler on it. Put the audio disc in your PC and download Cakewalk Plasma (twice :rolleyes: ) and you can record audio with it.

Dont bother with the free pro tools on Digi as it freezes.

Thats all I can tell you. Wait for JMX to show up :)

EDIT-didnt see your post Johnny, how are you?

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm in the process of doing this at the moment, using the stereo male to male mini-jack cable as mentioned by Johnny.

For software I'm using the Open Source program Audacity to capture the WAV files - I'm using it on Win98 but it runs on a range of platforms and costs you nothing.

The process is:

1. Create a new Audacity project (and ensure that the recording settings are what you want - I've been using a stereo 22K sample rate)

2. Make sure the line in device is enabled (double click on the speaker in the system tray, choose Properties from the Options menu, choose to adjust volume for recording and then make sure Line-in is selected).

3. Start recording and set the minidisk playing (I do a chunk at a time - make sure you've got enough disk space to spare).

4. Stop recording, extract each track to a separate WAV file.

5. With each track, tidy the start and end, then maximise the volume (Audacity does this well - giving you the maximum boost possible without clipping as a default level).

6. Burn the WAV files to your cd.

I'm fairly happy with the process (though I'd rather press a few buttons and have each track digitally dumped to the disk... can't find a way to do that with my set up though). The only problem I've had is when I was trying to do other stuff (like surf the net) while recording - the results had enough glitches to make them unusable.

Happy recording.

Wulf

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

it's free and used with the LAME encoder you'll get the best quality MP3's (I use the --r3mix option... makes VBR 320max files)

you just need to go from headphone out of the disk player into the line in (or mic in) of the sound card. open the sound control panel to activate the level control for the 'in' you use. I usually make 3 or for little 10 sec wavs to make sure the level is good (tools -> record wav in EAC). then just record all the wavs and use 'tools -> compress wav' to make them MP3's

It takes a little reading and figuring to get it all set right... but once set it's quick, easy, stable... and makes great MP3s

6. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    By any means you should use the digital out of your minidisc and a soundcard with a digital in. Even the cheap ones today have one. Or if you have a walkman-like MD, use a friends one who has a homedeck and a soundcard with digital in or maybe a home cd-recorder with digital in. If the recording means something to you, I wouldn't transfer Attrac into MP3. And by any means I wouldn't use the mic-in of a soundcard. These are mostly crap. If you have to go the analogue way, use the line-in of your soundcard.
    Dirk

7. First of all thanks for all the replies. However, computers never liked me so i never really bothered getting to know them....what exactly (or where) is a soundcard? I know there is probably alot of forehead-slapping going on as this is read, but I could really do with a bit more explaination of terminology especially for the computer-illiterate like me! thanks!

8. the sound card is the hardware that, in short, processes sounds your PC makes and sends them to the speakers. There is usually a 'line in' or 'mic' input on the card, check where your speakers are connected to the computer, that's where the sound card is.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How do you get the sound from your PC to your minidisk (as mentioned in your initial post)? I'm assuming that involves running a lead from the PC to the minidisk - if that's the case you know where the the line out is on your PC... the line in is likely to be very near this.

10. I got hardware with the minidisc for that - a cable that runs from the usb port to a gadgety-thing and from that to the minidisc, but it's not designed to work the other way....thanks for that - found the sound card (i'm slow:confused:) and there's only a mic input ... i think i should have mentioned that it's a lap-top...but still no joy, but i haven't tryed all the methods above yet...thanks again tho! btw, the minidsc is a sony rz-700, the later models come with an in-built usb out on the minidisc.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You might be able to use the Mic input on the laptop - you'll have to experiment with levels (both the output levels on the minidisk and the input levels on the laptop) to see if you can get a reasonable signal.

Good luck...

Wulf