1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minimalistic Bass Overdive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sveje77, Nov 20, 2018.

1. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    I am looking for a bass overdrive pedal to give my sound just a little bit of grit in the midrange. I love tubescreamer type pedals for guitar and am looking for something similar, but with a less pronounced low cut.

I know that the Darkglass pedals are very popular but everything I heard so far seemed very over-the-top soundwise, with way too much gain. And I don‘t like pedals with more than 3 knobs and switches. Honestly, the ideal pedal for me would just have a gain knob, nothing else.

There are 3 pedals that could be exactly what I want:
    Boss OD-3
    Boss BD-2
    Boss SD-1w Waza Craft (has less low cut and mid hump than the SD-1 in Custom
    Mesa Grid Slammer (tubescreamer type pedal with a more even freq range, less bass cut)

Unfortunately I didn‘t have the chance to try them yet. Does anyone have any experience with the above mentioned pedals? Or are there other pedals that could be what I am looking for?

2. Way Huge Green Rhino
    Adventure Audio Glacial Zenith

What you really need is a Skychord Truck Loud, but they’re quite hard to get a hold of.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. Cog mini 66... has all the mids you want for days.

4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I would highly recommend something that allows you to blend in your clean signal which is a key to retaining low end. The Boss OBD-3, EHX Bass Soul Food, Way Huge Pork Loin are all good places to start.

Zbysek and Robertron like this.
  5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
  6. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    EBS Multidrive SE could fit your need: 2 knobs and a 3 positions switch. No blend knob because EBS claims that its pedal separate the low frequencies to keep them clean (not with the flat position). It's quite true but you lose a tiny bit of lows.
    With a passive bass, you can switch the pedal for an active one so it can give you this grit you're looking for.

I've also tried the EHX Nano Hot Tubes. Just leave the switch on 'off' and you control only 2 knobs. Nice and aggressive sound, you won't need to push it very far.

zapped777, Zbysek and sveje77 like this.
  7. Are you talking about the Boss ODB-3? I used that for a “distortion” where’s I use Darkglass pedals for my normal tone. Sometimes edge of breakup, sometimes a little more.

They may have more knobs than you like, but don’t let the demons fool you. Some of them go really low gain and sound very amplike.

I have clips of both the ODB-3 and the Darkglass pedals.

zapped777 likes this.
  8. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    No, I meant the OD-3. It‘s a guitar overdrive but doesn‘t seem to suck as much bass as most tubescreamer type pedals do, so it could be interesting.

Wow, the EBS MultiDrive looks very cool and I really like what I saw and heard in a couple of reviews on youtube. Their „The Drive“ pedal could also be a great alternative.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The EBS “the drive” has the mid push of a tube screamer, and does not lose low end. I think it’s right up your alley.

Zbysek and Mod7 like this.
  10. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    Broughton Terraformer for the win!

GrapeBass and Mod7 like this.
  11. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    I appreciate the transparency of EBS gears because I rely on my bass and cab to give the tone of my sound. But if you want a drive that add color to your sound, you may find EBS overdrives too "clean".

Zbysek likes this.
  12. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Bad Monkey (TS with 2 band EQ)
    TS9-B (TS9 with Bass EQ)
    Sparkle Drive mod (TS Clone with blend)

hintz likes this.
  13. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    I just found a great deal on ebay and bought the EBS Multidrive.
    Thanks for all your helpful suggestions and recommendations!

gregmon79 and Zbysek like this.
  14. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am getting this from Eden GlowPlug tube warmer...

15. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    what is a nice loooow gain drive is the ehx analogizer

Mod7 likes this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Whilst there really is not much I like about darkglass pedals there is quite a bit I like about the Barbershop( as I keep saying) for light OD.
    I like that one very much!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Zbysek likes this.
  17. Are you a Fairfield Circuitry rep? :)

Zbysek likes this.
  18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

Why?

jazznrick and Zbysek like this.
  19. I find myself gassing for the Barbershop, Shallow Water, and Four eyes because of you. Not a bad thing

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    :thumbsup:

Driven Crane likes this.