1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Minimum basses for these tones.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 20, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I want a bass or basses that will give me the tone of a p bass, jazz bass, warrick thumb bass and a mm stingray no more than $1500.

It has to be avaiable as a four or five string and have a fretless model with a strong coated neck.

2. I believe the THumb can cover all those areas, is available in 4 and 5 string, and has good fretless :)

what you want.. is a thumb ! :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Good luck! The only bass that will get a Thumb tone is thumb. The only bass that will get a Stingray tone is a Stingray. And the only way to get an authentic P bass tone is with a P bass. A Thumb will get a good imitation of a Jazz tone, but like the others, you really need a genuine Jazz.

4. Well said Embellisher. I agree totally. Nothin' beats the real thing.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, $1500? A used G&L-2000/2500 and a used Thumb Bolt-On would get you pretty close. But like he said...

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have owned a Stingray 5 and a Thumb BO fretless 4 since 97 and you can fake the Fender basses but IMHO you wont get one from the other.

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Get a Wal or a Sei bass! I think you should afford an used one. My luthier said that these basses are the most versatile (and probably the best...) ones.
    I would suggest an old Warwick Streamer Stage II.
    It's really versatile. I've just sold mine... it's really a beaut, and can sing thin like a Thumb or Fat like a P!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about one of those lakland skyline i think it is would they give me at least two of those tones.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Last year I tried a Lakland Lakland expecting the earth to move and it didn't. You are going to have to try one.

Some of the more exotic basses mentioned have a unique sound and maybe one of those will do it for you. A lot of the versatile bit is knowing how to get the best out of each bass.

Maybe a bass with an active/passive system may do it for you.

10. if you leave out the thumb sound a G&L 2500 will do

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

A 55-02 will get close to a Jazz tone, but IMHO with the Bart electronics the Musicman tone isn't. I have heard that with the Duncan pickups, it gets a lot closer, but I have never had the pleasure of playing a 55-02 or 55-94 with Duncans. And add $100+ for the Duncans, BTW.

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've heard that you have to try a few Laklands to see what you really think about them. They tend to vary in tone and quality from what I understand.

13. I like 4 string Laklands better than their 5 strings. I had a Deluxe 55-94 and it sounded so EMPTY I just cried! Just a matter of taste.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I haven't seen much tonal variance with like model Laklands with the same electronics.

I haven't seen any quality variance yet... they've all been excellent... even the Korean ones.