Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minimum basses for these tones.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 20, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I want a bass or basses that will give me the tone of a p bass, jazz bass, warrick thumb bass and a mm stingray no more than $1500.

It has to be avaiable as a four or five string and have a fretless model with a strong coated neck.

2. I believe the THumb can cover all those areas, is available in 4 and 5 string, and has good fretless :)

what you want.. is a thumb ! :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good luck! The only bass that will get a Thumb tone is thumb. The only bass that will get a Stingray tone is a Stingray. And the only way to get an authentic P bass tone is with a P bass. A Thumb will get a good imitation of a Jazz tone, but like the others, you really need a genuine Jazz.

4. Well said Embellisher. I agree totally. Nothin' beats the real thing.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, $1500? A used G&L-2000/2500 and a used Thumb Bolt-On would get you pretty close. But like he said...

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have owned a Stingray 5 and a Thumb BO fretless 4 since 97 and you can fake the Fender basses but IMHO you wont get one from the other.

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Get a Wal or a Sei bass! I think you should afford an used one. My luthier said that these basses are the most versatile (and probably the best...) ones.
    I would suggest an old Warwick Streamer Stage II.
    It's really versatile. I've just sold mine... it's really a beaut, and can sing thin like a Thumb or Fat like a P!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about one of those lakland skyline i think it is would they give me at least two of those tones.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Last year I tried a Lakland Lakland expecting the earth to move and it didn't. You are going to have to try one.

Some of the more exotic basses mentioned have a unique sound and maybe one of those will do it for you. A lot of the versatile bit is knowing how to get the best out of each bass.

Maybe a bass with an active/passive system may do it for you.

10. if you leave out the thumb sound a G&L 2500 will do

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A 55-02 will get close to a Jazz tone, but IMHO with the Bart electronics the Musicman tone isn't. I have heard that with the Duncan pickups, it gets a lot closer, but I have never had the pleasure of playing a 55-02 or 55-94 with Duncans. And add $100+ for the Duncans, BTW.

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've heard that you have to try a few Laklands to see what you really think about them. They tend to vary in tone and quality from what I understand.

13. I like 4 string Laklands better than their 5 strings. I had a Deluxe 55-94 and it sounded so EMPTY I just cried! Just a matter of taste.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I haven't seen much tonal variance with like model Laklands with the same electronics.

I haven't seen any quality variance yet... they've all been excellent... even the Korean ones.