1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minimum wattage practice amp with s fretless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cadmandu, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Cadmandu

Cadmandu

Aug 24, 2017
    Hi all
    I heard that a fretless bass requires more wattage than one with frets. I just bought a Squire VM 70's Jazz. I was looking for a used or new Ampeg combo for my practice and recording some day. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. I don't se why a fretless would need any more power than a regular fretted bass. I would have to call that as nonsense. String condition, playing style (to include eq settings) and pickup strength would have a lot more to do with your output level.

To answer question, for strictly practice, any small amp will do. I have a little Fender rumble 15 that sounds great and far enough loud enough to jam with.

For recording I'll look at practice amps with more tone shaping and a direct line out as well. A sansamp pedal works ok to record through, but can get noisy based on eq settings.

Ampeg does make some great combos, just check their specs

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use a B15N for my practice amp. It works well whether I play fretless or fretted.

Same goes for my stage amp. :)

4. Cadmandu

Cadmandu

Aug 24, 2017
    Would a acoustic 30 watt amp do the job

5. It is what it is, a bass practice amp.

6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I use a older (usa) Hartke kickback 10. It says 120 watts on the front. It works just fine with either fretted or fretless.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021