Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ministry: Houses of the Molé

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Holy industrial music, Batman! Ministry released Houses of the Molé today, and MAN! is it good! It's reminiscent of Psalm 69 - heavy, fast, and much more riff oriented than their recent work. This is easily their best since Psalm 69 - it's really that good.

I was concerned that with the departure of Paul Barker that Al wouldn't be able to pull it off by himself. But this is good. Real good. As far as I can tell, Al did most of the CD himself, with the usual cast of extras adding their little bits. The bass isn't as prominent as it's been on the last three CDs, but what do you expect when a guitar player is now running the show?

And fair warning for you Republicans: this is Ministry's most politically overt CD ever. If you love Bush, stay away from this one. But if you love asskicking, go get this disc. Now.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But, what if you love President Bush and love asskicking?

Then what?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd just like to say that I, for one, think that Filth Pig is a very good album.

The Fall is absolutely brilliant, and the cover of Lay Lady Lay... ce si bon!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What if you love kicking Bush's ass?

EEK! I don't mean that as a political comment... I mean that in general...

*runs and hides in the lounge*

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I really liked Filth Pig, as well as Dark Side of the Spoon; two really under appreciated albums.

This one, overall is much heavier than most of their recent work. Not much the power groove stuff - this is more trash. I think it may have just become my fav Ministy CD.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was going to skip it because of the last album. I guess I'll check it out.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i love it. end of.

8. But what about when they were REALLY good, @ Land of Rape and Honey????

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    ah crap...now i have to go spend another 15 bucks at best buy.

so it is back to more industrial sounding? lots of samples?

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    NOTHING projects strength like Wilford Brimley. Good choice BenStrange.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting little tid-bit: there is a hidden track at the end called "Walrus". It's kind of a Beatles inspired joke: the lyrics are "Paul is not with us." Paul Mcartney = Paul Barker, who was half of Ministry and the bassist as well (for those who don't know). There's some bizarre looking script on the spine of the CD, which turns out just to be "Paul is not with us" backwards.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Did Al ever make an album under the name "Buck Satan and his 666 shooters" ? -Or was he just joking around?

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think that it was something that was attempted and didn't really get anywhere. Perhaps over the years it's become a bit of a joke. I'd love to hear that stuff. Ministry's side projects are always a blast; covering Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy" was a genius move.