Minivan drove me off the road...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RedV, Mar 15, 2003.

1. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I was going to a friend's house night before last and had an unfortunate accident.

Driving along the highway in the left hand lane when some minivan switch lanes right in front of me(probably 1 ft away from my bumper) and locked up her brakes. I swerved, hopped a median, and ran through a huge DO NOT ENTER sign at around 55mph. The sign smashed my bumper, hood, windshield, and crushed my roof. I also bent 2 wheels, blew 2 tires, crushed my oil pan, and cut my power steering hoses.

Luckily I made it out with only a few deep cuts from the glass. But the worst part is, the minivan drove off!!!!:mad: I didn't get the license plate or anything 'cuz I was kinda busy at the time(median and sign and all:rolleyes: ), so when the cops showed up, they said there wasn't much they could do about it.

I only have liability insurance, so I can't afford to get my car fixed. Best I can do is to sell off everything I own to buy another car. If anyone feels so compelled, my DP is for sale in the classified section. I won't provide a link because that's not what this post was about, but it's there.

So now I'm pretty much SOL, to go with my already depressed condition. I don't know what I'm gonna do now....

Thanks for letting me rant.

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    try contacting the local insurance commision (government im not sure if thats the right term for them). also try to find a witness, if theres a witness your insurance company will have to pay. and im not advocating this but maybe someone will remember seeing the accident while playing their new dp? really sorry to hear about that, it happened to my dad once but he got a witness and everything worked out. you shouldnt have to pay if you talk to the right people. keep in mind depressions only temporary even if time stands still during it. things will perk up just "keep yo head up"
  3. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Thanks man. Thing is, I only had liability insurance. I have to front this no matter what. If the minivan hadn't drove off, HER insurance would have covered it, but alas is my life.

4. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    no if you have witness or talk to the insurance commisioner they should cover it since you werent at fault.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow. Sorry to hear about that! At least you're all right, though. Be VERY thankful for that...someone at my school was killed very gruesomely a few years ago by hitting a road sign.
    Hopefully, Way's right about the insurance, and you can get everything taken care of.
  6. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I'll definitely look into the insurance thing. Thanks again.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

The only coverage that would come remotely close to this is UMPD (Uninsured Motorist Property Damage), which is only available in certain states. And for that to kick in, the other driver must be known and proven to be uninsured. Won't work here.

RedV is right - unless he's carrying collision coverage, he's SOL. Even if he had the other driver's info, it's unlikely their insurance would pay since there was no impact.
  8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    :mad: Man, that just pisses me off. I am really sorry to hear that RedV. I wish people would learn how to drive, but they don't. I am so glad that you came out of that ok.

Do you have family that could help you out?

I would also look into what w_o_o said. It couldn't hurt.

Keep us posted
  9. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    if HD is right then i hope you live in GA, the only thing my dad for proof in his accident was a witness. he was also talking to the insurance commisioner. but it was fixed under these circumstances. also shop around for the repairs, i know too many people that took their honda to a honda repair shop, or they go to one "really nice" shop and pay 3k for 400 in parts + 5 hours labor.
  10. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, if I manage to sell my bass, hopefully I'll have enough cash to do the repairs myself. Cars are what I do, so repairs are no big's just getting the cash:(

11. wow red, i am just glad that you are okay. it sucks what that person did. it makes you wonder how many others they did this to also. that steams me when people do not belong on the road. :mad:
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree, you need a witness. Australian laws are probably different, but my understanding is that if the witness can help ID the other driver, they become liable to pay for damage.

Unfortunately I don't like your chances. Even if someone saw what happened it's unlikely they would have taken down details of license plates etc.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.
  13. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is terrible. Unforntunatley, that does sound like you are SOL. Unfortunately, the only thing that is fair in life is Algerbra.
  14. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Glad to hear that you are all right. Sorry about your vehicle though.
  15. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This is a completely messed up situation.
    People like that should be taken off the road and never let back on.
    The important thing is you are ok. But this could have been so much worse.
    What also sucks is this person may someday kill somebody, and will probably get away with it.

Be thankfull your ok and things will get better. It may take some time, but it will.

Good luck, I hope everything works out.
  16. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Thanks guys. I talked to my insurance this morning and they basically told me, 'witness or no witness there's not much they can do':( Guess I'm stuck figuring this one out on my own.

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Alex -

Ouch! :(

Were you on 441? Man, that road is a disaster right now, I'm not surprised about an accident on that road - especially with all the "Eus-less" drivers out there in north Lake County! :p

Let me know if there's anything I can help you out with my man.

The big thing is that YOU are ok. The rest of it will work itself out one way or another.
  18. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey Gard! Been a while.

Yeah, this was on 441...I swear, some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my bass and a few other things and make enough cash to get the car running. We'll see how things go.