Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minnesota State or East Carolina U?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys,

I was asked by a tutor if I would like to take part in the abroad study experience and spend a few months in the US next winter. My school has decent connections with Minnesota State and East Carolina U's, but apart from geographical location I really have no idea how should I pick one over the other.

Any of you gentlemen familiar with these institutions, or knowledgeable of MN or NC in general and could share their experiences? I assume I would be studying Chemistry by day and spending the free time socializing, taking small road trips around and just getting familiar with the culture, mostly in relatively sober ways.

2. hmm, i live in minnesota. what city is the MSU you would be going to in? i've never been to the carolina's, but minnesota is pretty sweet.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it's in Mankato. For some reason I like the idea of spending the time in ECU, but MSU might yet surprise me.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    east carolina isn't even a state! :p

5. mankato is a pretty cool place, i have relatives who live there, my uncle is a professor at BLC in mankato, and I've seen the area...I'd personally vote for MSU because its closer to me...

6. I would say that it would completely depend on which months you would be here. If it is anytime from October to March, you would probably want to hit the Carolina's. MN can get pretty friggin' cold.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

on the other hand, tsal's from northern finland. :p

(scandanavians typically like the northern midwest! :eek: )

oh, and tsal, you should check out the universities' websites if you haven't done so already!

http://www.mnsu.edu/

http://www.ecu.edu/

you can read the stuff intended for incoming and transfer students to see what they have available to entice you, as well as info on the chem department, etc.

finally, i contributed to this thread! :hyper:

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hehe, good job Brad :)

Ye, I've been trying to check out the sites, but I really don't know anything about the university culture in the States, so I don't know how to read between the lines.

So, the point that ECU isn't even State U, how would that affect the study life? Are we in general talking about "smaller" everything, for example the amount of Student Organizations activities?

I have to say though, NC has certain appeal to me if I for once in my life don't have to scrape the car windows every morning during the winter months :p - however, I'm a very social guy, so student activities and taking part in student life is a very big thing for me, and if MNSU will be better in those terms, well.. I guess a little more scraping doesn't hurt ;)

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm...

...a couple points about ECU:

It was rated as the best "party school" by Playboy magazine so many times, they "retired" them from the "competition".

:bassist:

It is relatively close to the beaches.

:cool:

It is just a couple hours from the Roscoe shop, and you can drive over and visit anytime.

:)