Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by G-force, Dec 28, 2005.

1. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hey Happy Holidays and all. Anybody going to Minneapolis next week?
  2. vegetables

May 20, 2005
    i heard joe hearne is going. does anyone know if that's true? that guy has never lost an audition.
  3. bassgirl15

May 29, 2005
  4. bassgirl15

May 29, 2005
    Thank you!!! If you hear more, please let me know!
  5. C-bus

Oct 12, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    It would be interesting if anyone knows who/how many advanced from each committee since it was a split committee for the prelims.
  6. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I love that orchestra...

I hope I can be in it someday. Good thread G.
  7. bassgirl15

May 29, 2005
    The freelancer is probably Kate Nettleman. As for the audition itself, what I've heard is that is has been very poorly run with the two committees for the prelims and semi-semi's - as well as asking some of the semi players to play yesterday (after all day of auditions) and then letting some play today after a good night of sleep. In my opinion, there is no way two committees can be completely subjective and is totally unfair to the auditionees. Musicians put their lives on hold for these things and invest everything they have for them to be run in a manner that doesn't treat everyone the same.

In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing the results. I just think committees need to rethink their audition procedures in order to run them in the most professional manner possible.
  8. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Well I was one of those 12 who got invited. Let me say that all of the other 11 were pretty major players. I add that it was the best audition I ever played were I could not have played better. BUT the competition was outrageous. I am sure it was incredibly difficult for the jury to decide anything two jurys or not. I also know that the jurys were fairly generous with regards to advancing candidates because there were two jurys.
    I think this is a good thing. Though it is ridiculous that so many showed up but hey maybe the problem is that the music school industry is too inflated. I feel it would be worse if people never even got a chance to play based on resume alone.
    ACtually the audition was first class run. They even personally talked to each and every candidate in private to tell them if they advanced. And we got lots of practice time,
    I travelled from Oslo for this and it was well worth it. Just to hear some of the players. Very inspiring but I got to say if I didn't already have a job I think I would seriously consider doing something. There are way too many great bassists who are unemployed. So I would seriously think it over i the future.
    This was my last USA audition. It was a great experience and am glad to have done it.
    I'm going to bed I'm spent ,this is the first day in months where I am not thinking about the bass,
    Over and G out
  9. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Congrats to Colin Corner and some dude from Curtis.. who won the asst. principal spot. Travis Gore was runner up.
  10. Huh. I wonder why Colin wanted out of Vancouver so soon. Minnesota's a great job, but why would he go out of his way after a few months in B.C.?

Also, does anyone know who the "dude from Curtis" was? Was it Tim Ressler?
  11. no it was not tim. It was Fora, he is in his third technical year at curtis but took a year off because he had to serve in the turkish military. So in actual time he has only been at curtis for 3 semesters.
  12. If a current student won a job, does that mean a second position will be open at Curtis?
  13. yes fora is a current student at Curtis. So therefore there is a possibility of 2 spots at curtis. With fora and nate leaving curtis will now have no more german bow players
  14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    And the point being...
  15. Oh, I was just asking because I'm auditioning there next month. If the number of positions jumped from one to two, then my chances of winning go up slightly.
  16. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Yeah , I guess....
  17. bassgirl15

May 29, 2005
    There is no point - we're just here on this super geeky bass site to express our geekiness because no one else is geeky enough to understand. Right?
  18. Well, I originally was going to write something regarding a snowball's odds in hell, but it wasn't particularly clever. I recognize that Curtis is a "reach" school.
  19. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    wasn't Curtis that one school that denied Gary Karr a teaching position when they found out he played German?