Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minor Chord Progressions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by golden_boy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    Okay, I know my major chord progressions for MmmMMmdM (if I am remembering correctly, dont think I am). M = Major, m=Minor.

Now, if a Major key progression goes like that, how does a minor key progression go? I can't seem to find anywhere to tell me, they just tell me the major key progression.

Hope you can understand what I am asking :D Thanks for any help :bassist:

2. .... depends which minor scale.

if it's Natural Minor (Pure Minor), then building triads on the scale tones would yield:

m-d-M-m-m-M-M-m

Which is the same pattern as the Major scale tone triads starting on the 6th degree, coz THAT minor scale is a MODE of the Major scale - the Ionian mode (same as "natural" or "pure" minor)

if you're building scale tone triads on a HARMONIC minor scale, well that's different...that goes like this:

m-d-Augmented-m-M-M-d-m

m =minor
    M = Major
    d = diminished
    Augmented, ie. a Major triad with a raised fifth (eg. C Augmented = C-E-G# )

...Now, for scale tones built on the Melodic minor.....well, if you REALLY wanna know, I'll post again later :)

Hope that helps :meh:

3. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    cool, thanks for the help, tahts what I was after. Thanks a bunch :D

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Use Roman numerals-
    I-ii-iii-IV-V7-vi-viio The 'o' should have a slash thru it...I don't have a Character Map on this compooter.
    I think you would want to use the Harmonic minor scale.
    In Am(harmonic)
    A-B-C-D-E-F-G#-A

So,
    i-iio-III+-iv-V7-VI-viio