Minor Chord Progressions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by golden_boy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    Okay, I know my major chord progressions for MmmMMmdM (if I am remembering correctly, dont think I am). M = Major, m=Minor.

Now, if a Major key progression goes like that, how does a minor key progression go? I can't seem to find anywhere to tell me, they just tell me the major key progression.

Hope you can understand what I am asking :D Thanks for any help :bassist:
  2. .... depends which minor scale.

if it's Natural Minor (Pure Minor), then building triads on the scale tones would yield:

Which is the same pattern as the Major scale tone triads starting on the 6th degree, coz THAT minor scale is a MODE of the Major scale - the Ionian mode (same as "natural" or "pure" minor)

if you're building scale tone triads on a HARMONIC minor scale, well that's different...that goes like this:

m =minor
    M = Major
    d = diminished
    Augmented, ie. a Major triad with a raised fifth (eg. C Augmented = C-E-G# )

...Now, for scale tones built on the Melodic minor.....well, if you REALLY wanna know, I'll post again later :)

Hope that helps :meh:
  3. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    cool, thanks for the help, tahts what I was after. Thanks a bunch :D
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Use Roman numerals-
    I-ii-iii-IV-V7-vi-viio The 'o' should have a slash thru it...I don't have a Character Map on this compooter.
    I think you would want to use the Harmonic minor scale.
    In Am(harmonic)