Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

minor crack in side of plywood

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olps, May 15, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    What should I do? I have a minor crack in the side (the part of the bass that rests on the ground) of my plywood bass, the crack is actually were the sheets of plywood have been glued together. If I am to glue it together (very minor small crack, or seperation), what should I use? Thanks.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A crack on the rib of the bass? Or are the plys coming unglued on the belly or back plate?

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    The plys are comin apart (only a tiny area, tiny little crack like split). It's on the side, or part that touches the ground when it's resting on it's side.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The latest Bass Player magazine (June 2002) has an article about fixing cracks on an upright.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Okay! If the plys are coming apart, I would:

1)Get yourself two THIN, long spatula knives (no sharp edges). Gently insert the knife (dry) into the open ply-seam, and "feel" how big an area is actually loose. It might be bigger than you expect.

2)Take the knife out. Using one knife as a mini-lever, *lightly* work the ply open and insert the other knife (this one has glue on it) into the opening. It doesn't take much glue to do the job, so don't over do it. Operating the lever-knife will help spread the glue where it needs to go (capillary action.)

3)After your clamps are on, WIPE! Too many luthiers, professionals included, don't wipe. Excess glue is annoying, ugly, and rude. A damp paper towel works fine.

4)I would use yellow alphatic glue (Titebond or such). However, for this application, the glue should be lightly thinned with water. Not much, just a few drops so that the glue has a thin honey consistency. It's usually quite thick right out of the bottle. Squeeze some into a baby food jar, then add water. You can use hide glue if you want, but it's not neccesary for this particular task. Yellow glue has a FEW uses in the shop, and this is one of them.

BTW, do you have clamps for the job?

6. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Yes, I have clamps (some small ones too, they should do the job). The clamps even have rubber covers for the ends, so it won't damage the wood. Thanks for your advice!

7. definitely read the article in June 2002 Bass Player - it's written by David Gage, a very respected luthier in NYC. He talks about a specific kind of glue. Also location of the crack. Good reading!