Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minor mishap

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fdeck, May 29, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have an Ibanez TR bass -- not an heirloom, but a good player. Last night, some stuff fell from a shelf in my basement, in particular a sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper on it bounced off the back of my bass, leaving a scuff mark. The finish is a dark metallic blue.

Any ideas on how to fix this, or should I leave well enough alone? Even a partial repair to make the damage less conspicuous would be welcome.

This is a good lesson for putting my bass in its case when I am not playing it. :crying:

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    There's not much you can do. Consider it "Character". If you try to do anything besides repainting the whole thing it will just end up looking worse in the end. You can use a a good automotive wax, or a scratch remover type product for automotive paint, and buff the area with it. Depending on the nature of the scuff, it could make it less noticeable.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for the advice. I have decided to leave well enough alone. The finish seems to involve layers of different things, which seems like a Pandora's box.

A bit of wax has made the scuff marks slightly less visible. This is a "player" bass, and not a collectors item, so I am not really heartbroken.