Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minor Modificifications on mim jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hi, I am going to buy a fender mim jazz bass, Although fender sayz those chrome knobs r for p-bass, do they also fit for in place of the cheapy strat knobs on the j? also does anyone know where to get a chrome pickguard for the j?
    Also, how much does the badass 2 bridge cost?

2. I hate to sound like a broken record here, but if you took that extra money your thinking about spending on upgrading the features on a MIM Fender, you could certainly afford the extra few bucks for a Godin SD which would need no upgrades. The bridge and pickups are already of very high quality.

What you can't change is the quality of the materials and workmanship. The Godin materials and workmanship are on a much higher level - especially the neck and neck/body joint. You can upgrade pickups and bridges all you like, but you won't be able to change the essence of the bass - the body and neck.

If your really set on the Fender, so be it - it's the second best option IMO. But I'll never understand why people buy these MIM Fenders only to turn around and then have to upgrade every possible feature.

3. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    I think the Cort Curbow is definitely better than the Godin. One stingray type soapbar, luthite awesome eq w/slap controls and much more. Best of all its $400........ fully loaded baby

4. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Well, it's just inherently cool to buy an "ok" instrument for 300 dollars, then spend 200 dollars more for a better bridge, pickups, and hardware, which are all resalable. And, it's a Fender! You can't break the Jazz bass mojo.

5. Have you played a Godin? Sure, it may be more simple design, but it's pure quality workmanship.

Besides, if you think the Cort is so great, why are you planning on buying the Fender?