1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minor pickguard issue, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheFantod, Apr 21, 2010.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Hi folks. Lookin' for some opinions here.

I don't like the pickguard on the Fender Roadworn P-bass. Anodized gold just isn't for me.

The only problem is the mounting holes are different in a RW, compared to a standard. The RW has 10 mounting holes, and a standard MIM has 13. I can attach a standard PG to the Roadworn, but only using 9 screws. I've attached a diagram which hopefully explains it:

RW%20PG%20diagram.

The only real dodgy area is between points 5 - 6 - 7. There are 3 extra attachment points on a Standard PG. As you can see, there's a rather large gap between 6 & 7. I'm worried about the stress on basically one screw, (#6).

I figured I could either

1: Drill 4 new holes to accept a Standard Pickguard. (which I'm a bit loathe to do to a brand new bass)
    2. Order a custom Pickguard from WD Music
    3. Just use the 9 attachment points and stop worrying about it.
    4. And this just occurred to me - drill a hole in the "green" spot of the pickguard, drop in the screw #10, and go on my merry way!

What would you do? After looking at all this, #4 seems to be the simplest way to go.

All opinions welcomed.

2. As long as the PG covers the original holes, use all the screw holes in the replacement PG and screw the sucker down. It's a bass, not a Picasso.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    While I agree with pilgrim, you may also use a double sided tape to stick it in that area where there are no holes. Or, you can paint your original pickguard.