Minor problem with an Ashdown EVO 500...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    OK, so I have had this amp head out of the house maybe two dozen times. Anyway, you know the VU meter and how it lights up? Well, it ain't lighting up. At first I thought the bulb was gone but then it would light up and shut off again. The VU meter works, the amp works, it's just the damn intermittant (sp?) light. Also, the gain nob is loose and the pot it somewhat filthy (I reason this is because the two fans are right in back of the gain knob).

Anyone else have these issues?
  2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Small lamps can get broken filaments that will intermittently touch and come back on, and then go out again. Change the bulb - that is most likely the culprit.

- Tim
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i'm actually looking into the 300, is the gain thing a common problem with these?
  4. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I have no problems with the gain. My head is a few years old so things need to be tightened once in a while. Amp works just fine. I can't recommend them enough. I've owned Sunn, GK's (one of my 800RBs blew up on a gig), Fender (hated it) Trace Elliot's (before they were bought out) and used to gig through my guitar player's SVT (it was so nice of him to haul it to every show) and I can honestly say Ashdown is a great way to go. Forget SWR, they USED to be good (like 17 years ago).

I tell people Ashdowns are for those who want an SVT but without all the troubles. And I stand by that statement. Having done hundreds of gigs with all kinds of gear for some 20 years, here are the constants:

1. If you go cheap, your sound will be cheap.
    2. If you gig a lot, stuff breaks down. All of it.
    3. Tube preamps a great.
    4. If you think you need a tube power amp, you may also need a chiropractor, a roadie, a degree in electrical engineering, and a $200+ savings account to replace your tubes. That being said, when an all tube SVT is working, IT RULES.

The only thing I would compare an Ashdown to (other than an SVT) is Mesa Boogie's Walkabouts. I played through one of those at GC a couple of weeks back and loved it. Genz Benz stuff is nice, too, as is Eden, but when it came time to buy, I bought the Ashdown and would do so again.

I love my Ashdown rig. The best sound I have ever gotten.
  5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Funny you should mention it. I own both and Ashdown ABM500 EVO and a Mesa Walkabout. The Ashdown Power and clean Volume is much much much greater than the Mesa Walkabout. The Ashdown has more punch and warm, full thick sounds. The Walkabout however has a growly, expectional Midrange and has equally glorious tone, albeit a bit different from the Ashdown. I did an A-B demo at a gig once and asked my guitarist to comment. He said the Ashdown reminded him of a more Vintage Ampeg sound which we both liked. Just thought I'd throw that in.
  6. I have a friend who sells a lot of Ashdowns and I own two of them, a Peacemaker 40 guitar amp and a Mag 200 bass combo. He has lots of complaints about the lights going out in the VU meter and both of mine have gone out. He replaced the bulb in my first one and said it was no way as easy to access for the fix as he thought it would be. I haven't bothered with fixing the second one.

OTOH, I have absolutely no complaints about the tone of these amps and my friend continues to sell a lot of them to other people who love the tone and put up with the VU meter problem.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think thats a bit exaggerating... Tubes don't need to be replaced too often, and with a tube power amp like mine you will need to replace roadies faster than tubes ;)
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used a rental 500 EVO (II model I think) in combination with a Bergie cabinet about a year ago. Seriouls nice sounding rig... The Bergie was either a 1x12 and 2x12 combination of a 3x10. I would imagine that the Ashdown and NV610 would be cool as all get out...