1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

minor problem with my epi T-bird

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by infamusblkdeath, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ok,i have to play at gig on wednesday of this week,which is about 2 days from now.but i was at practice this afternoon,and i went to put on my bass,which is an epiphone thunderbird,and the top strap knob's screw just came completely out of it's hole.the wierd part is that i didn't tug on it or do anything to it,but it must have just come out with the slightest pull.and now,i can't get it to stay in at all.it used to be loose,but i could just get a screw driver and snug it right up,but now it doesn't become snug,no matter how hard i try.what do you think is the best bet for me to do??

i have a few options,like for one i do have extra strap knobs around.do you think i should just try to use one of them in the hole and see if its snugs? or i could try and glue it in,but i don't know if that's the best idea.or do you think i should try and drill a hole above the bolt on plate on the back?

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    If that happened to me, I'd probably go with attaching it on the plate at the back. I hear doing that eliminates neck dive. Be careful, it's a bolt on, don't mess up the neck too badly. I have the same bass... how do you lower the action? I had the truss rod adjusted and now the strings like like 3 feet above the fretboard.

3. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    elmers glue and a couple of toothpicks in the hole, let dry overnight, put strap button back on.

4. Fill the hole with Plastic wood, let it dry completely and drill anew hole. You might like to use a slighly longer screw.

5. BrianKrashpad

BrianKrashpad

May 4, 2009
    I've done this many times.^

In a pinch, walk outside, break any dry twig to the size of the hole, stick it in and then re-screw the strap peg. Obviously not as pro a repair as the toothpicks/glue, but more often than not it'll actually work.

6. hmm.i've never really had to mess with mine much.the action was always pretty much perfect,as it came.i adjusted the bridge,and that brought them a bit closer to the fretboard.but i've never mess with the truss on it.i've never even opened the cover to it yet.