Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

minor scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    can someone please post a moveable minor scale please. because i only know major ones. thanx

2. bloumy2

bloumy2

Dec 10, 2000
    Joliette-Canada
    Checke a activebass.com, you find there, all the scales....

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    An easy pattern to get you started:

D|-5-7--
    A|-5-7-8
    E|-5-7-8
    (A minor)

Try to figure out other patterns and fingerings yourself. :)

4. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    there are three types of minor scales, natural, harmonic and melodic. the natural is the same as oysterman posted. you can move the scale by using the same shape, or use intervals, as i prefer. by thinking in terms of intervals, all scales are much easier. the intervallic stucture of natural minor, is whwwhww. for hermonic minor, just raise the 7th, whwwhth, where the t stands for 3 hlf steps ( w= whole step and h = half step, if you didnt catch that already). for melodic minor, the scale is different on its way up than on its way down. on its way up, raise the 6th and the 7th of the natural minor ( whwwwwh) and in the way down its the same as the descending natural scale (wwhwwhw). hope this helps
    -paul

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sheesh, man, he's a newbie at this - don't overdo it! :)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, even in Jazz they don't usually use the different (descending and ascending) melodic minor scale(s). I often wonder who does ever use this apart from Classical composers?

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Which is mostly used ? The descending form (as it's the same as the natural) ?

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so i think i will stick with the first one for now. so expect another one soon asking about the others, lol. :p

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Here's a quote from the "Jazz Theory Book" :

"In classical theory, there are two melodic minor scales, one played ascending and another played descending. Because the descending melodic minor scale is identical to the Aeolian mode of the major scale, jazz musicians think of the ascending scale as "the melodic minor scale". "