1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mint 1977 Fender Precision - Market Value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leroy La Qua, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    I have been presented with the opportunity to pick up a mint 1977 Fender Precision complete with original case and handbook. It has all original hardware and is pretty much unblemished. It has only had one owner and I don't think it has seen a lot of action. I am not sure as to how much this bass would be worth. Any idea as to its rough market value?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Pics would help.

IMHO, '77 is pretty close to the nadir of CBS Fenders, but some sound good and play well.
    Have you played it? If you buy it will you play it, or hold it hoping to make a vast killing? :ninja:

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Check gbase.com, for instance. I would assume it's pretty valuable.

4. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    77-79 Antigua- $1500-$1700
    77-79 Black, Blonde- $1100-$1600
    77-79 Natural, Oly White, Wine- $1100-$1500
    77-79 Sunburst- $1200-$1600
    77-79 Walnut- $1000- $1400

According to the 2005 issue of The Vintage Guitar Price Guide. Condition will obviously play a significant part. Values have probably changed a bit in the last 3 years. Maybe this will get you in the ballpark.

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Note that if you're hoping for resale, these values aren't much more than the cost of current Fender basses; previous poster was correct in noting that this era of Fender was pretty bad, and that fact is reflected in the values -- regardless of the condition the bass might be in.

PS: If you're looking to play it rather than sell it, I owned a 79 P-Bass that I bought off the rack; I was happy when it was stolen in '82.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm buying a 78 Fretless P for $1700 this weekend. It's natural/maple so it falls in the $11-1500 range of the 2005 book, but the price is slightly higher because its fretless and it has an A neck. I wanted to pay in the $11-1500 range, but being as I had to put a deposit down, and go back to pick it up a week later, I wasn't really in a good place to negotiate.

As far as the original case and manual, etc, that will only really effect the value in terms of investment, ie not the playability factor. Something that will help you in the long run if you plan to resell the bass, but not something that's going to be particularly helpful if you want to buy the bass to play.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A nice '77 will sell in a music store for about $2k.

$1600-2000+ on eBay.