1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mint codition at club nokia 4/10/10

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by macaroni tony, Apr 14, 2010.

1. I've been meaning to post this question, did anyone else go to this? They came out 2 hours late, and it only lasted for about an hour and a half. but all was forgotten as soon as the show started. It was an awesome, awesome performance. All of the musicians were masterful on their instruments, and Stokley is an impeccable singer. A lot of theatrics as well

Ricky Kinchen is an excellent bassist. For the most part nothing all too technical (they are an R&B group, after all) but he filled out and carried the songs perfectly. And when he was let off the leash a little bit, he did not disappoint.

These guys don't get near the recognition they deserve. I was disappointed that it was a small auditorium, and they couldn't even fill that out. :spit:

How about my tb'ers? Anyone else go?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I could never figure out why Mint Condition never hit bigger than they did, awesome band.

3. My fav R&B group. Mint Condition to me was the new school EWF. Hot band, hot songs, and great shows. Pretty Brown Eyes helped contribute to the population greatly LOL. I dont know why they didnt blow up more. I think that they didnt give in the the cookie cutter production like alot of other groups, which could have been a factor. You think they are so tight to be a band, but then you learn that they all went to Berkeley together LOL.

4. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Top 5 fave band for me! IMO they got pigeon holed early on as a ballad band and I think that hurt them. Life's Aquarium's one of my most listened to albums. I always love the hidden track!

5. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I'm perfectly aware of the different time zones in the world, but I didn't know there are date zones as well. Here in Sweden it's only 4/15/10 as I type this.

Mint Condition must truly be the music of the future...

6. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    You should see Stokley on the drum kit. He's really really good.

7. LOL, that's so hilarious I can't even be embarrassed by my screw up. My apologies, it was 4/10.

8. Yeah, I didn't mention that because I already felt my post was too long. There was a part in the middle of the show where he went back and forth with the drummer they had on tour (I'm sorry I forgot his name) and he straight beat those drums like they owed him money. I mean he absolutely killed it. I knew he started out as a percussionist with his dad's groups, but good lord I had no idea he was so killer on the drums

9. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Back in 2000ish my old band was recording some tracks at and a Ricky and the guitar player (can't think of his name) popped in. They were cool as hell and the guitar player had just received a prototype of the prince guitar. It was a really cool experience and even though my band at the time was not R&B, Rickey gave me a couple of pointers. I'm sure they don't remember the experience, but I sure do.

10. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Here is a little bit of his awesomeness. I first saw him as a member of a local band called The Outsiders and sat in the front row of a performance. That was around 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Yv7c4s9-0

11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I've been a MC fan since "Pretty Brown Eyes". In Fact My band back then did that song so much we thought it was ours (lol) I saw Mint Condition back around 2000 in NYC and they kicked big booty! I'll be at the Capital jazz Fest in June where Mint Condition will be performing. It's crazy they they can't get the "big breakthrough" they deserve. Anyway, I cant wait to see them live again.

12. I can't wait to watch this over the weekend. Youtube is blocked here (at work) and I don't have the internet at home, so I gotta go to the in-laws to use it

13. That's an excellent story, I'm jealous!
    The closest thing I have to a MC story is kinda funny...well funny to me, at least. I wanted to sing "what kind of man would I be" in middle school. The guy arranging it was Arthur Wright, some LA area guys may know him. Anyway he tells me I can't sing it, and "Why don't you just pick another song?" I kept bugging him about it and eventually he said "That song isn't necessarily about a boy and a girl...it's more like about a man and a woman
    I didn't get it until years later, and I always resented that I couldn't sing that song. So now I'm in my inaugural band...and we're definitely gonna sing that song. I'm teaching to my band-mates. And I'm definitely singing lead. I still see Wright from time to time...I'll make sure he comes to our first show so he can hear me tear that song to shreds right before his very eyes!!!! hahaa aahaha :bassist: