1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MINT Modulus Funk Unlimited (Flea Bass) 5 string. w/ Rare PASSIVE Villex Jazz pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ds1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Owner: Ish Guitars, Inc. Owner: Ish Case, Inc
    I also have a Vintage Pedulla MVP Pentabuzz fretless 5 string, Aguilar AG500, plus Aggy and Genz Benz cabs for sale. PM me!

This bass is mint! 99.8% condition. Not only that, it has a few VERY RARE options: Dual passive Villex Jazz pickups, with gloss white finish (not metallic!). The option combo this bass has makes it the most expensive Funk Unlimited that Modulus offers. This is an insanely nice bass, plus its much more versatile than the normal Flea Basses, and can be played in many styles of music. And with its Carbon Fiber neck, this bass is perfect for players in the north-east or touring musicians because the neck does not move based on climate. The only 'problem' is on the plastic control cover... a button on my pants must have rubbed on it one day, it looks worse in the picture than it actually is. It is only on the control cover as pictured, and if its really that big of deal to you, I will buy you a new control cover from Modulus. It weights 9.5 pounds according to the trusty bathroom scale, but that scale tends to read a little high. From experience, I'd say its more like an even 9 pounds. She's very well balanced, too! The Mod sports a 34" scale, but the B string is wonderful. The Modulus is currently string with DR Neons, which I know a lot of people won't like, so I included some pictures of the bass when I had 'normal' strings on it too. It includes the original Modulus Hard Case, which is in almost perfect condition as well.

If you would like any more info or pictures please feel free to PM me. I'm only selling her to fund my new bass purchase. [DEL]Asking only $1599 OBO with free shipping![/DEL] SOLD!

file-126. file-129. file-130. file-131. file-132. file-133. file-134. file-127. file-128. file-135. file-136. file-137. file-138.
    P4280086. P4280088. P4280085.

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Very nice! What straplocks are on it?

3. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I hate to say it, but I'm not actually sure. When I bought the bass, it was from a collector who had a lot of instruments that he just kept around in display cases but never really played. I never got the strap locks from him. They seem sort of like Shaller's, but the Shallers from my other basses don't fit...

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Thanks. No big deal really. They're easy enough to change.

5. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    I'm guessing this is 35" scale....?

Also, what preamp is in this bass? If it's passive, could you share what the knobs are?

REEEEEALLY NICE!!:bassist:

6. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Now i want key lime pie

7. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    The Villex passive system is about the best I have heard. Real nice bass!

8. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Sorry I should've it mentioned in the ad: This is a 34" scale. You'd never know it though, the B string is wonderful.

NO PREAMP! This bass is passive all the way! The knobs are the coolest configuration ever: 2 volumes, and 2 tones. The tone knobs seem to be at two different frequencies, but control both pickups. I've never seen anything like it, and honestly I'm not exactly sure if thats whats going on. But, considering the custom options this bass has, I wouldn't be surprised if the eccentric first owner had the electronics setup in this 'odd' way too. Its actually a brilliant idea. It makes the bass very versatile, even though its passive!

Here is a quick picture of inside the control cavity...
    photo-1.

9. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I agree! I didn't really know what I was getting into when I bought this bass, I just wanted to try out a carbon fiber neck. As soon as I got it home, BAM I was in love and it has been a trusty steed ever since. This passive system kicks my active Pedullas' butts, along with any other passive jazz bass out there. And honestly I like it more than the system thats in my active Jerzy Drozd!

10. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I am editing the ad because I forgot to add the weight. This is what I just sent to an inquiring TB'er:

It weights 9.5 pounds according to the trusty bathroom scale, but that scale tends to read a little high. From experience, I'd say its more like an even 9 pounds. She's very well balanced, too!

11. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    This bass is sold as of 1am this morning! Thanks everyone!