1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MINT Peavey Classic 400 (400 watts ALL Tube) Head w Cover and Footswitch Used 2 Hours

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Quadzilla, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Pics Below (scroll down)!!!

I'll probably regret doing this, but I'm putting my MINT, new old stock, Peavey Classic 400 up for grabs. I was one of the lucky few to score one of these a few months back when Peavey found a handful of them sitting in a corner of their warehouse for some years and put them on the market (they ceased production on these in 1999). It has NEVER left my house and literally has maybe 2 hours of playing time on it (if that). It is like a SVT on steriods (uses the same tubes in the amp section, just more of them, 400 watts vs 300 for an SVT).

It is one of the last ones made as this one had the "box style Peavey emblem on the front and also has the better tubes in it (Electro-Harmonics and Phillips JAN in the pre-amp, vs the cheap chinese tubes that most 400 classics shipped with). It also has the better KT-88/6550's in it (the non-coke bottle type).

The head is literally like new and is FULLY functional. I have all the original paperwork with it and I had a custom head cover made for it and also ordered a Peavey footswitch for it (they are not avail anymore but Peavey was kind enough to alter the inards of another switch with the same exact housing and cable as the Classic 400 for me which cost me almost $100). I removed the front emblem (looks better without it IMHO) and wood (for better cooling) but still have them both.

I want what I have into the head which is about $900 total (cost of the head + shipping to me + the cover + the footswitch). UPDATE, Price lowered to $800!!! I do not have the original box (used it to ship something else to somebody) so if you want it shipped to you, I'll have to take it somewhere and have them properly box it and insure it (UPS Store, etc) and you will have to pay for that also. For the above reasons, I'd prefer to do this local, but am willing to ship it it you are willing to pay for it. Warning, there have been a couple of these head damaged or destroyed by shippers so again, I would MUCH prefer to sell it local. I live just north of Baltimore, Maryland, but am willing to drive up to 30 min to meet you if you are a great distance away.

So why am I getting rid of it? The main reason is, it's not getting used and I'd prefer to get something a bit more portable that I would be more inclined to use more.

2. Quadzilla

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Quadzilla

There was a Classic 400 a couple of weeks ago that was for sale here on this forum. I believe that one went for about $700. The seller must have deleted the thread because I no longer see it. That one had a lot more use on it than this one plus I have the custom cover and footswitch for this one...

4. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

that one may have been mine. i deleted the thread because a local guy here in KC took it for a test drive and discovered some issues with it.

(see thread here )

it hasn't sold yet...it's all dependant on getting a clean bill of health from the local tube guru... *fingers crossed*

[edit] and yes, mine has a heck of a lot more "use" on it :D:D [/edit]

5. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I hate to ask this but...how much does it weigh?

6. Quadzilla

The beast weighs 97 lbs, but believe it or not, the handle placement made it very managable and they are rubber padded too which helps. Heck, SVT are 85 or more lbs and this has 33% more power than an SVT so it makes sense!

7. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Want to trade for your old bass. :) JK. Good luck on your sale.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Does the 400 have a master volume?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    www.classic400.com has all the tech docs up.

it is a true 2 channel with eq for each. Channel 1 (clean) doesn't have a master volume. Channel 2 (Crunch) does.

You can switch between or combine via the foot switch.

10. Quadzilla

Do I have to put this baby on Evil Bay? I'd rather see a Tber get this gem! Again, these are no longer produced (stopped production in 1999) and this one has less than 2 hours on it and never left my house!!! I know she will sell on Evil Bay, but I'd rather keep her "in the family"... :smug:

11. Quadzilla

OK, $850 and if no bites here in a day, off to Evil Bay she goes. Thanks

12. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Damnit, if only I could come up with that dough in a day.... Hmm, my street corner seems to be awfully short on prostitutes tonight. Maybe I can get some good cash there.

13. Quadzilla

Funny man! Anyway, I'm putting her on Ebay Thursday. See if anybody bites here before that...

14. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    PMs sent

15. Quadzilla

One more time before she goes to Evil Bay. Price lowered to $800. Again, I REALLY prefer local pickup but am willing to ship (read the original post on shipping). Trades considered as well...

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i badly want one, but sadly have neither the money nor much of a use for one.

17. If you weren't so far away.. maybe

18. Quadzilla

Man, I REALLY did not want to have to put this one on Ebay. :confused: Oh well... It's going on this eve (local pickup only). Thanks... :crying:

19. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Wow, that is tempting .......:eek:

After playing a little bit thru James Hart's a** kicker I can attest to the quality of this amp, but that is just too much weight for me to lug around. Hope somebody does snatch it up here, it'd be a shame to see that go to the 'bay ......

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy it, for $4.00 a yard, I'll carry it anywhere you want :)