1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Mint" Roadworn FS ads

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Huh?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Huh what?

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Roadworn is a finish option for some basses. A mint condition roadworn bass doesn't have any additional wear that wasn't intentionally applied.

Marikk and Jeff Scott like this.
  4. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    But how would you know? Are those expensive Custom Shop belt buckle scratches or real ones and I should be getting a deal?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you bought it new then you know what damage was there when you bought it. If you're buying it from someone claiming it's new, you either take them for their word or you don't.

6. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    you ask of things that mankind was not meant to know

ColdEye, Marikk, Fxpmusic and 9 others like this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

"Mint" means "just like it left the factory." I fail to understand the confusion.

DavC likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Jeff, I get it.

tuba_samurai and Jeff Bonny like this.
  9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Not at all man. I just thought "mint" was a funny way to describe something that's supposed to be beat up looking. I don't care one way or the other about the relic'ing thing or finish in general really. If it's a great feeling great sounding bass then it's a great bass and if it isn't it isn't.

Absolutely....and those things relic up fast all on their own. I bought a '63 AVRI P-Bass three years ago and I've been asked several times if it's "road worn". The pocket clip on my knife and a chain on my right wrist have beaten the hell outta the finish and I don't mind a bit.
    IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0057.JPG

BlueMINI likes this.
  10. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Yep. That is funny. I tried to find some of these ads to add to the thread. Maybe you could show us some examples.

Thanks for the great post!

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    If you "relic" a "Road Worn", what is it? A "Relic"? A "relic'ed Road Worn"? A "Road Worn" relic?
    A road worn "Road Worn"? "Used"?
    (Asking for a friend.)

p.s. man, after a while, the word "worn" looks really weird.

p.p.s. @Jeff Bonny - your avatar amuses me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Naw, the one that caught my eye is pretty recent and I don't wanna blatantly mess with a fellow TB'er who's just trying to sell what I think is a super cool bass.

BlueMINI likes this.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    The 63 reissue's have very thin nitro finish. The will age faster than a standard fender.

Jeff Bonny and BassGreaser like this.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Holy derpy-derp.

dannster likes this.
  15. antonspon

antonspon

Mar 27, 2013
    I wondered when a thread like this would get posted, ever since the relic thing started! I've always felt that relic'ing is like those folks who spray mud on their Landrovers to make it look like they actually go places, but each to their own. I like the worn look, my only problem with it is charging extra for something that happens naturally (is "professional" damage better than "accidental" or "amateur" damage?) and, of course, if a new instrument is more expensive because it looks used, what happens to the actual "used" market? Glad I'm not a dealer trying to figure this one out...

quickfix likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

never heard of this^ .... hilarious. do you know anyone who has done this? :roflmao:

17. Landrovers? Jeeze...you must live amongst the rich. Around here it's old Jeeps and pickup trucks that get that treatment. One of our denizens is very prominent as the mud and grass clods he applies to his truck actually shows a definable hand print. Each clod is purposely applied by hand.
    Completely covered...even the undercarriage.
    He was the first guy I thought of when I first learned about purposely applied "mojo" on guitars and basses.
    Of course, around here he's just one example.

I wouldn't purposely buy a roadworn. OTOH, I wouldn't turn one down if presented as a gift. They are reported to be fairly decent instruments.

18. The finish on the RoadWorn basses is nitro anyway, so additional bits are going to be flaking off gradually on their own. The condition of the already ruined finish is irrelevant compared with how the bass is set up, what guage/quality of strings it's fitted with, and more importanty, how it sounds to your ears as a player and how it feels in your hands.