1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mint used or custom made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Mint 1-year-old high end bass (and save some bucks)

62.7%
  2. The same make and model but custom order (and invest some bucks)

18.6%
  3. Forget about it and be happy with what you already have

27.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Well here's the question:

1. Mint, less-than-a-year-old high-end bass (stunning instrument plus save some money)
    2. Get the same bass (same brand and model) but custom-made new from the luthier (invest some money but get it "custom")

What do you think?

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    If the bass has all the same features that matter to you, it's a no-brainer. Why pay more and wait longer?

...and I'm sure no one is gonna vote for that last choice...

3. i think it would depend on what basses we are talking about...maybe you should be happy with what you have if you aren't happy with your Roscoe, but see a Wishbass that you could buy used or get a brand new one...be happy with the Roscoe :)

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Unless you have a current void/inadequacy with the basses you already have/use, then I'd just keep the money. I've come to the realization that all I really need is one good 6 string fretted bass, one good 4 string fretless, and a decent upright, anything more is pointless as that is all I'll ever really use live anyway.

So chalk me up as in the anti-GAS heretical faction...

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

+1

6. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Wishbass???????!!!!!....Ouch!

I AM ABSOLUTELY HAPPY with my stuff. I guess I'm just getting addicted to nice basses. Plus the underlying question is....new fretless, yes or no?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I love variety, so I understand. As long as you're not spending money you don't have, then go for it.

Get a used one if at all possible. I've had rather bad luck with my three custom orders this millenium. The first took 50% longer than expected. I'm still waiting for the other two, and the differences between actual and estimated wait times is 150% and 400% (and growing, of course).

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Here's my $0.02--every bass is different. Custom ordering a bass is nice, but you never REALLY know what you're going to get. Two basses with the exact same specs will always 'feel' different.

If you can lay your hands on it, you like it, and it's got a good neck...it doesn't matter when it was made or who played it first.

9. I voted for a custom bass.

If, and only if money is no object, why would one not order a custom bass?

It's built of the exact wood/pickup/electronics/hardware combination you love. :cool:

Mike

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My answer to this is two posts up!

I don't mean to trash anyone I've done business with... or anyone I haven't done business with for that matter. As long as the builder or rep keeps in touch, I understand that delays happen... and I'll always prefer to have the bass done right rather than on time but imperfect. But now that I've experienced three noteworthy delays in a row with custom orders, I won't be ready to "go there" again for a long time.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like used instruments...

Theya hve that broken in feel and even when they're in mint condition, very unique character.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    if i can find an exact copy of what i want used, id get the used one, even if it wasnt mint. or much older than 1 year old.

the likeliness id choose the new one decreases as the options move away from what i have in mine, but ill stick to what i have in that case. custom orders scare me.

considering that what im "looking for" right now is the fretless sister of my zon, yup, its very hard to find, and custom zons are crazy on the pocket.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    How come the percentage values currently listed in the poll add up to 108%?

14. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Easy. Multiple choices..

15. HA !!!

Good eyes, Dr.Phunky! :cool:

That is funny! :D

Mike

16. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I always buy used. The last new bass I bought was an MM Sterling but only because GC was blowing it out at "pre owned" prices. I just figure I will always get what I put into it. And, at the rate I turn basses around, my losses would add up quickly.