Minus the bear's bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by akaTRENT, Aug 18, 2009.

1. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    You know Im getting really agitated trying to learn some of their songs. Their bassist has some killer lines but they are so low in the mix I cant even make them out. This is such a pity.

Any thoughts?

2. Would it be possible to EQ the .mp3 in a mixing program to possibly bring out the Bass more?

3. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I tried that!. Th bass is very "bassy" so its even when its alone its hard to hear. I mean its super low, and super bassy in the mix.

4. Then maybe you need to make the mix brighter.

5. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ive been going at it for a few days now, its amazing the live videos on youtube have more clarity than the recording does

6. That means the record was probably mixed poorly.

ie. why you can't hear the Bass.

7. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yeah, but its a recurring thing on all their albums:bawl:

Wheres the bass love!

8. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    i saw minus the bear last year. it was one of the only shows ive ever walked out on... :-/

9. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I've never had trouble hearing what the bass player is doing on any of the minus the bear albums. Are you listening on computer speakers?

10. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nopers some pretty dece head phones! I am trying to learn pachucha sunris. I can tell its easy i just cant make it out clearly!

Any tips?

11. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I ask some recording friends of mine. i mixed it to find the bass. all good now!

12. cory murchy is his name, and i really dig his basslines, too. his bass sits a little behind the mix, but in my opinion it helps give minus the bear their mellow/ambient vibe. if the bass were up front the songs would have more drive but lose their character.

13. What exactly was your friends advice? I'm having the same problem with the same band.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, it's pretty weird, this is one of my favorite MtB songs and the bass is pretty damn loud in it but most of their recent output seems to have the bass mixed to be as unobtrusive as possible. Seeing as their music has started to sound a bit samey recently due to how distinct their style is, making it more bass-heavy might be an idea to shake things up a bit.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021