Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

minutemen/ firehose tele bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by georgeev1, Oct 10, 2002.

1. georgeev1

georgeev1 Guest

Sep 11, 2001
    miami,fl
    hey watt,
    i was just wondering what brand that telecaster bass you had was ? Not the one you put the thunderbird pickups in, but the one you had before that. it's the one you used in the "brave captain" video. Also i saw a picture from a live gig with firehose and noticed a galien kreuger something or other on your rack, was it a head ? if it was when did you switch to david eden. Also i was wondering what amp you used to record with firehose, or if you used that tubeman thing ?

sorry watt, i know that's a mouthful, but I just respect you so much I want to know every little detail.

thanks
    george

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

george,

that fender w/the thunderbird pickups is a '56 fender precision bass.

the fender tele bass I used w/the minutemen and fIREHOSE was stole from my apartment in pedro when I was out on tour (actually, I was playing charlottesville, va that night) w/the crew of the flying saucer in the fall of 1995. the gibson eb-3 I use now was stole along w/it but I recovered it a few years later when these young guys asked me to come watch them practice and one of them was playing that bass! (he didn't know it belonged to me, he got it from someone who got it from someone...).

I used a galien kreuger 800rb in the later part of minutemen and early fIREHOSE. you can see it on the back of the "ragin' full-on" record. I went to eden in the later part of my fIREHOSE days, I think I started recording w/it beginning w/"flying the flannel."

the minutemen records done w/ethan james and the first two fIREHOSE records had the bass recorded direct, no amp was miked.

hope this answers some questions you've got on your mind.

on bass, watt

3. georgeev1

georgeev1 Guest

Sep 11, 2001
    miami,fl
    watt,
    what cabs did you use with the 800rb?
    p.s. thanks that info was extremely helpful

4. georgeev1

georgeev1 Guest

Sep 11, 2001
    miami,fl
    was the fender tele bass used with the minutemen a '69 ?

5. watt

g,

the neck was a '68 but it was the only thing origianl (plus the tuners)! the body was a heavy ash schecter.

on bass, watt

6. watt

g,

if you look at the back of the first fIREHOSE album, you can see for yourself: cerwin-vega, half of a small p.a. stack! top box: 2x12 plus horn and bottom box: 1x18 top load.

on bass, watt

7. watt that had to be a bitch to lug around!?!?! i thought from the photo in the firehose record that maybe that was the rig at your practice crib or something. did u actually travel with all that? i used to use my friend's vega 18" PA speaker for practice at his place i couldn't imagine lugging that beefy ass speaker around!!!

8. watt

g,

yes, I used to do gigs w/both those c-v boxes. they were heavy but at least the eighteen had wheels!

on bass, watt