Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Minutemen sighting

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Malcom, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I was just watching the John Cusak movie "High Fidelity," and couldn't help but notice that when these shoplifter kids drop the goods, Double Nickels on the Dime is on top of the pile.

Just some worthless trivia.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There are tons of great 'easter eggs' in that movie.

-James Brown's "Say it Loud: I'm black and I'm Proud" can be seen on one of the record trays.
    -Radiohead sticker in the office
    -Shootyz Groove stickers all over the place
    -U.S. Maple flyer near the cash register

And many more.

I've seen that movie 5 times or something, each time I look for more little bits of eye candy. Yeah...I'm a trifle obsessed.

3. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    "I've seen that movie 5 times or something, each time I look for more little bits of eye candy. Yeah...I'm a trifle obsessed."

I believe it, it's probably the only hollywood movie to name drop both Sigue Sigue Sputnik AND Eisenstrasse Neubauten.
    And, I too, am obsessed, it's my "I'm having girl trouble" movie.

4. There is a Blood for Blood sticker or poster either in his office, or around the cash. And isn't there a Johnny Cash song playing, or a poster in his office as well?

5. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I hadn't noticed the Cash thing, I did notice a Pavement poster by the door in his apartment (look in the first scene, while Laura's leaving).

6. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got pretty excited the first time I saw that kid drop Double Nickels! I also like the part where the guy starts playing "Suspect Device" by Stiff Little Fingers

7. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

einsturzende neubauten.

8. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Aw gee, I should have known. I'm IN German this year.

What did I actually say? "Onestreet new building?"

9. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    It means something like "Imploding New Buildings." "Destroying New Buildings" (I know no German by the way, so don't take anything to heart)

And if you haven't ever checked them out, please, please do so! I can't even begin to explain how haunting/beautiful/noisy/quiet/everything their music is. You could put Bilxa and they boys in a room with some pipes and a dead rat and you'll get some of the most brilliant music ever. I strongly recommend them.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, Shooty's groove and Blood for Blood in the same movie... craaaaaaaazy.

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

collapsing new buildings.

12. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I got told the same thing when that movie came out. that was nice of them to do that.

on bass, watt

13. On the "Strategies Against Architecture" album there's a song where Bliza and the boys are actually playing the underside of a bridge... so you're absolutely right about that. :hyper:

14. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

ceej,

I think it's blixa.

on bass, watt

15. mike,

it is blixa. blame the fact that I was multitasking at my day gig. (I actually have two 'puters running when I'm at work, their old P.O.S. Windoze machine and my righteous 1.5gHz PBook that a certain bass player from Pedro helped me pick out :) )