Mipro vs Senn vs Shure

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by richntiff, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yet another newb trying to figure out IEM systems here. The limited info available on the Mipro 909 seems to suggest it's the equivalent of the Senn G3 or the Shure300. Street price puts it $150 cheaper than the Shure, $350 cheaper than the G3.

Does anyone here have experience with all three units - or at least two of them - in order to be able to give an unbiased viewpoint? I know all brands have their fans - but I'm hoping for some real world comparison. I have to admit, the Mipro looks very appealing from a bang for the buck standpoint. Is it truly as good as the big boys? If not, why not?

Thank you in advance!!!

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    G3 and PSM200 here.. Been on the G3 for a couple of years now.. LOVE it!

@Geri O (I believe) uses the Mipro 909.. you might want to get his feedback..

musicman7722 likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    No, not using that unit. I have the EW300 G3 IEM rig myself.

musicman7722 likes this.
  4. From my understanding the mipro and lectrosonics are the only two digital iems on the market im very curious how these stack up also ill be watching this as im torn between these 3 systems myself

5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Define what you mean by "digital" please... L6 uses the 2.4G band for wireless..but labels it digital.
    My Sennheiser D1 wireless (also 2.4G) is labeled "digital" also.

6. musicman7722

musicman7722

Feb 12, 2007
    Hampton NH
  7. yep - those are two of the reviews I found that have me interested in the unit....

As far as my limited understanding goes - the MiPro is 'more' digital than the Senn or Shure units, but still not 100% digital, as there has to be some D/A conversion in there somewhere.....

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I'm not sure what "more digital" means.. I have nothing against the Mipro - almost bought it over the g3 (but I got a heckuva deal on the G3) - but they both run in the same frequency range and have very similar features. The fact that they are wireless prevents them from being 100% digital.
    I don't see any reason NOT to go with the Mipro, but I wouldn't base your decision on it being "more digital" than Shure or Senn !!

chinpal likes this.
  9. I’m not basing it on that at all - I don’t care if it uses little tiny hamsters on little tiny wheels- I just want to know I got a good system for a decent price :roflmao:

s0c9 likes this.
  10. FWIW - I saw a post where you mentioned the deal you got on the G3 - I’d buy that system no questions asked if I could get it for that price!!!

s0c9 likes this.
  11. Update - got a good deal on the psm300 - can’t wait to make the jump to in ears!

12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    One word of caution.. make sure you get used to them at rehearsals for a while.
    DO NOT take them straight to a gig and expect them to be like wedges and dial in the perfect mix in seconds..

musicman7722 likes this.
  13. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Why would that be? WiFi is digital and wireless and also uses the free spectrum at 2.4GHz.

14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Depends on the system.. we also have cell phones using GSM, CDMA and 3G and 4G bands that are considered "digital", 5G too... It's really the lack of companding circuits that makes them "digital".

15. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I don't get that...? I'd say it is the fact that the transmitted audio signal is encoded to binary that makes the system digital. This encoding/decoding has the side effect that you don't have to compress/expand.

edwinhurwitz and KJMO like this.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve owned/used the G3 before, and currently use the PSM300 (with the “better “ belt pack receiver). The G3 is a great unit, but the Shure comes damn close with the P3RA receiver.

17. As a bassist the mi pro mi909 looks apealing seeing as its rated down to 20 hz

elkkid2 likes this.
  18. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    You CAN'T hear 20hz too well.. . LOL

musicman7722 and kittywithabanjo like this.
  19. Well - one gig under my belt with the new in ears. All I can say is wow! Contrary to (good) advice - I took the system out of the box, put it into the Gator bag that is made for in ear systems, read the manual so I knew how to do a frequency scan and sync, and took it to the gig. We run the XR18 - so I opened the app on my iPad, connected, pulled up my monitor bus, and dialed in a good mix in about a minute. Vocals, kick, hi hat, snare, a little floor tom, guitar, bass. Done. The unit performed flawlessly - and I’ve never heard my vocals like that before. It was pretty awesome - I was chained out to a wedge just in case but it was not needed. I’m sold. And this was just with a pair of KZ ZS5 ear buds lol - I haven’t even tried the Sure 215’s that came with the PSM300. Then I took them to rehearsal with my other band tonight - analog board that the BL runs - so a bit more back and forth to get a good mix - took my basic wedge mix and tweaked it. Still really pretty easy to dial in. That band is a pretty loud classic rock band. Again, I’ve never heard myself sing that clearly before. I honestly think this may just save my vocal cords. I’m singing better, and with much less effort. Best gear purchase I’ve made to date. On the flip side - I’ve never heard myself sing that clearly before. Now I have to take vocal lessons:roflmao:

Gabaghoul and s0c9 like this.
  20. musicman7722

musicman7722

Feb 12, 2007
    Hampton NH
    Throw away the 215's or use them for listening to your iPad :)

Ethereal Thorn, richntiff and s0c9 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022