Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mirecourt pics

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olivier, Apr 14, 2004.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I got (new) pics of my (old) bass

Attached Files:

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France

Attached Files:

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France

Attached Files:

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sweet.

5. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Sweet indded. And such an elegant scroll.

6. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice bass :cool:

7. Beautiful instrument.

8. Since i'm 62, it's no big deal that I get more excited looking at beautiful basses than beautiful women......if I could go back 30 years and have the same experience and knowledge I have now about basses, it would be a real toss-up!
    Thanks Oli for sharing!
    Excuse me....i'm gonna print these pictures out and go to the bathroom.......

9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Well, at least we all know how we're gonna feel when we reach 62 :D
    Hey.....i need ink in my printer...

10. "Mirecourt". What is that, French for "Kay"?

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yummy.

12. The opinions expressed by PW are his alone and do not in any way reflect the opinion of the vast majority of senior citizens (AKA dirty old men)! ;)

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Careful man, if you over do it you'll get so stiff you'll be petrified, like the guy in that photo bellow :eek:

It's actually Contrebassiste, a 145/45/45 cm stone sculpture by Jean-Luc Martin, Savigny-sur-Orge, France.

Thank you all for the good words.
    Beech back, the origins of that bass have been lost (the seller won't tell me nothing). A luthier of good knowledge sees it as a Mangenot (sp ?), some see a Tournier touch in the finish, cause there was a lot of charcoal dust in his shop (!?!). Fully restored by Gougi, including a new neck. I'll try to post more pics of details (but after I'm back from the south of France, on vacation and away from 'puters).

Attached Files:

14. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think you mean Leon Mougenot, born 1874, worked at Mirecourt from 1899 on. Or, Georges Mougenot, born 1843 at Mirecourt, and the teacher of Leon. The Henley book says 9 Mougenots worked at Mirecourt from 1680-1780 as well, though I think that predates your instrument.

15. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks Arnold. I don't mean much, really, and cannot confirm nor reject what you find in the Henley. In a sense Don is right (quote: Mirecourt = Kay), as those basses used to be the entry level instruments at the turn of last centuty and overall the wood might not even qualify for the C category in nowdays Chinese catalog (not to mention the beech back). Yet the overall proportions of the instrument are nice, based on the scale of Paul's emotions.