Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mirindiba Buchenavia capitata wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, May 18, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Anybody elseuse this before. I don't know if the photo will do it justice. It is very hard and wavy. I am thinking about using it as a fingerboard on my 5 string. Any experience with it?

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That is super nice-looking. Where did you pick it up, and what do you know about uses for this wood so far?

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Got it from a guy on the MIMF forum a year or so ago. It was twisted and bowed. I let it sit and just today started fixing it.

I did get his info a while ago.

Janka side hardness averages 1,220 lb for air-dry wood. FPL toughness average for green and dry material is 123 in.-lb (5/8-in. specimen).
    Drying and Shrinkage: Lumber air-seasons rapidly with only a very small amount of degrade in the form of slight bow and twist. This species also performed well in a solar dryer (5/4 stock). No kiln schedules are available. Shrinkage green to ovendry: radial 2.8%; tangential 5.7%; volumetric 8.6%. Very low values for a wood of this density.
    Working Properties: The wood machines with moderate difficulty because of its hardness, but it produces good surfaces in all operations even though some tearing may result from irregular grain. Performs well in spindle carving. Easy to finish. Rated as fair in steam-bending characteristics.
    Uses: An attractive furniture wood and suggested for decking, planking, and framing in boat construction; exterior and interior flooring; decorative veneers; turning; wood tanks. The wood has many characteristics similar to white oak and teak.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC