Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miroslav Vitous - Infinite Search

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by godoze, Jul 28, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    HOOO BOY !

I heard this 20 years ago but at the tender age of 16 I didn't dig it. Oh man what I've been missing !

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh yeah. Miroslav and Joe Henderson playing the head of "Freedom Jazz Dance" together is worth the price of admission alone. Plus Herbie, McLaughlin, and DeJohnette all in top form. Pretty damn great.

If you haven't heard this, there are some small samples over at Amazon.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm listening to "When Face Gets Pale" at the moment. I love his tone. Miro's, that is.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Is there a transcription of "Mountain in the Clouds ?" If not I am going to do one. It's a Beaut !

5. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Check out Star and Atmos, both with Jan Garbarek. His sound is so clear and the playing is very strong.

6. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I love him.. Amazing music and very forward thinking for the time.

7. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Check out "Emergence". It's just bass, and totally captivating. I've been a huge fan for 27 years!

8. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Is Infinite Search more available now? I had to get a Japanese import.

Have you heard him the the Terje Rypdal trio with Jack DeJohnette? There were two CDs on ECM in the mid 80s.
    They do a great version of Mountain in the Clouds.

There is also a video of him out there someplace with Rypdal and Trilok Gurtu and I'm pretty sure Moutain is on that.

John

9. There is a Woodstock Creative Music (or something of that nature) DVD which features him in a group with Pat Metheny, Dejohnette, Chick Corea and Dewey Redman. He looks coked out of his mind, and he plays a bowed solo on a blues, in which he has NO idea where he is in the form at all (well it was a kind of free blues, but still...funny to listen to/watch) thats the only video I've seen with him in...Infinite Search is rereleased as well, wonderful writing on that album, some of my favorite bass playing....and I have to agree that Star is unbelieveable..some of his best recorded efforts...

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's on the Collectibles label in two versions.

One is the original album, the other is a two-on-one where the second album on the CD is Chick Corea's "Tones for Joan's Bones". I bought that one only to find that one track from I.S. was removed to make the albums fit!!!

Both are budget priced.

11. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Could you tell if Herbie is on normal piano or if its electric in this. Seems like quite a cd.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Another *great* record with Miroslav is "Spaces" by Larry Coryell (also featuring John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham, with Chick Corea on one cut (electric piano)). It dates back to 1970 or so.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Herbie's playing a Rhodes on this album.

14. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    ...and don't forget Mr. Vitous's amazing bass playing on Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs...

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My friend Joe Gallivan, a drummer from outer space, had a quartet with Miroslav, along with John Scofield and Kenny Kirkland (nice band!). He said that the music was fantastic, but that Miroslav was kind of a handful. He said that at one point, he had to put Vitous in a headlock just to chill him out during a diva moment at Narita airport, telling him to "settle down, I'm just as big as you and twice as mean".

16. I bought this album when I was 13. I didn't quite understand what was going on but I knew all the players were tops in the field, so I kept listening and listening and after about a year it all started to make sense. My favourite Jazz album of all time. The original mix on the vinyl album (Infinite Search) is superior to the re-mix (Mountain In The Clouds). Odd that the new improved mix was a step backwards. There was nothing wrong with the first mix. Either or they both still sound great. Miroslav's Bass sounds gorgeous and his playing is splendid. Yep, Freedom Jazz Dance is amazing but so are the ballads on the album. And if Miro's a Diva so be it. If I could play like him, I'd be a Diva also. lol. I've seen Miles live a half dozen times and McLaughlin even more but I never did see him live. And, that vid with Terje Rypdal and Trilok is very good if you haven't seen it. David Holland is great but Miroslav reigns King. Hail Miroslav! And yes, where can one find some transcriptions of the tunes on Infinite Search / Mountain In The Clouds?

Don Kasper likes this.
  17. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

From "Infinite Search" - Epilogue.
    Miroslav was 22, in 1969, when this was recorded.
    Yikes.