Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mirrors, Eye-closing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 4StringFox, Jun 9, 2004.

1. For the past several months I have been a full-time college student with 2 jobs; correspondingly, my bass has been sitting neglected since February. Now that I am home on break with NO job (thanks Bush), I have plenty of time on my hands. So after bringing her flowers, holding her, and promising I'd never leave her again, my bass and I started to practice. I'm still building strength, endurance, flexibility, and calluses back up, so I'm not playing much yet.

Two friends who returned to guitar after long absences recommended playing while watching my hands in a mirror, and playing with my eyes closed.

I'd never heard of those before, so I tried them today. Closing eyes led to better tone but not much other change. Using the mirror, my accuracy and timing were much better, but tone sometimes suffered (when I paid too much attention to what I was watching instead of what I was hearing).

Just curious -- anyone else tried these? Find them useful, useless, stupid, fun? If you have any other tips for a resuscitated bassist, feel free to pass those on by post or IM too :cool:

2. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    I saw a dude play 3 sets last night with his eyes closed almost the whole time. He was totally getting into the groove. Personally, I think it makes for a better show when you don't have to look at the neck when you're playing. Except I can't really keep my eyes closed because there are 6 other idiots jumping around on stage besides myself and I gotta watch out or I'll get knocked over by somebody.
    I do use the mirror thing in my jam room at home, but it's probably because I'm an egomaniacal narcissist and I can't get enough of myself.

3. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I look at the mirror when I try flashy stuff.I like to see how cool I am.
    Though I do sometimes get scre*ed in the process.

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I believe such things can be beneficial. Playing in front of a mirror can help you check up on your technique and body position. I like to play with my eyes closed a lot. You know, shut off one sense to hone another. It also aids me into going deep inside what I'm playing, what colors and feelings come out of it. It can also help those that constantly rely on the fretboard for guidance (I'm guilty sometimes of that) become less reliant.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for sharing your unsolicited political commentary with the rest of us. :rolleyes:

...Mirrors? Smoke?

Actually I have used it for examing my right hand/wrist positioning.

6. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    It was two words, don't get so offended.

Sometimes I set a video camera up across the room and record maybe 5 minutes of me playing. It helps finding problems in my technique.

7. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    well... it's meaningless and stupid but it's lots of fun to hang over the side of your bed and play upside down.... or play a bass guitar upright like a string bass... yea meaningless and stupid but very fun