Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mis-matched impedance cab/poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Nov 18, 2004.

1. I'm playing out this Sunday afternoon, and unfortunatly I will have no PA support for bass. It's in a large, accusticly treated auditorium (800+ seats). I think I will need to bring all the gear to TRY to fill it out.

Mackie 1400 power amp 300 @ 8 ps, 500 @4 ps, 700 @2 ps, 1000 @8 br, 1400 @4 br.
    -EA VL-210 500@8
    -Ampeg BXT210M 400@4
    -Ampeg SVT15E 200@8
    _Hartke 2.5XL 200@8

My questions are......

What would be the best arrangment to hook these up at?

Is it safe to run the Ampeg 210 with the EA 210 on the same channel? What kind of wattage and Impedance whould that put out?

Also if needed I can add a Ampeg B2R also which is 350@4, 200@8.

Do you think this will all be enough? Praise/Worship band, 2 accustic players, keyboard, loud drummer, 3 vocalists all being throught the PA.

Thanks in advance.

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

an 8 and 4 ohm cab combine for an impedance of 2.6 ohms. If your amp can handle 2 ohms a side, a 2.6 ohm load would be fine.

3. ...as long as you're only using it on one side and not bridging! Just wanted to add that caveat.

If you're looking simply at getting the maximum power output, bridging the amp and running it into any two of the 8-ohm cabs would give you roughly 700 watts for each cabinet. You can't add the 4-ohm Ampeg 210 into that mix, though.

UInfortunately, I'm really not familiar enough with the individual cabs to comment on which might one or two might work best in that environment.

Mike