Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miscellaneous and Off Topic - Difference?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Orco87, May 3, 2001.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    What is the difference between Miscellaneous and Off Topic?
    They basically have the same type of threads and stuff like that. Maybe the question is: IS their a difference between miscellaneous and off topic? :) What do you think?

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    My understanding is that Off Topic is for threads not related to bass or music. Miscellaneous is for threads that relate to bass, but don't fit in any of the other categories.

The line seems to be getting thinner between the 2, I agree.

3. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here we go again.....[​IMG]

fisk

4. I think it´s pretty obvious....

and the line is getting thinner because people don´t know the difference.. for example, THIS thread should be in OT...

like ASR, said... misc. is for bass-related, OT for.. well.. Off-topic.. stuff NOT about bass..

5. then again, this is misc. stuff about this page, which is bass related..

hmm... this is getting too complicated...

6. I guess it's not so obvious :D .

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good rule of thumb: If you don't know whether to post it in OFF TOPIC or MISCELLANEOUS, put it in ROSIN [DB]. Works every time. :D

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the big difference is that if you post tripe in misc, i just watch but if you post it in OT, i put the serious smack down on it. :D

and jazzbo too. ;) (not that i put the smack down on jazzbo, but rather he puts the smack down on any that slip past me. :D )

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My take:

If it relates to Bass or music but doesn't fit in any of the other forums, or if it relates to TalkBass in any way, It should go in Miscellaneous (TalkBass is, after all, a bass related topic) Everything else goes To JT and JB so they can have their way with it.

I do find that topics that should go in OT get posted here sometimes, but I assume they come from people who are looking for more serious responses than you tend to get in OT, so I leave them here. I don't know if anyone else feels the way I do, but the tone of the conversations can be quite different depending on which forum you choose to post your thread.

Maybe you should spend more time here.:D

Will C.:cool:

10. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    You might post a thread about crazed, sociopathic jellybeans :confused: in Offtopic, but you would not post it in micellaneous.

You might post a thread about your bands music etc in miscellaneous (relates to music/bass) but you would not post it in offtopic.

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    On the other hand...if you are eating those jellybeans while playing your bass......:D:D

12. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    True. But then, we are all bassists in here (I would imagine) and so ANYTHING we say/do/eat/etc IS related to bass. :D :D
    Oh what the hell, post where ya want, let the moderators decide if they wanna move it.

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    That's what they do in the Basses forum....:)

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

LOL. That's also what I do in the Recordings Forum. The only reason that forum needs a moderator is to move htreads to other folders, which I do several times a week.

JO

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Miscellaneous = $***

Off Topic = Full of $***

16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll take that as a compliment.

17. See thats what i was going to put. There is a difference between Misc and OT. and that is one thing... JT. Its alot like the army in OT, the ads gloss it over, but when u get sucked in to sign up, they bring out the Drill Sergeants...... :p

*salute, yes SIR back to OT SIR!!*

:D

Merls

18. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I've noticed a slight difference between off topic and miscellaneous, but nothing really big. So, thus, I ask this question. I put it in miscellaneous on purpose so I can actually get some good enough answers. Miscellaneous seems to be about more serious off topic stuff while off topic is true to what the subject is: off topic :)
    I've noticed that the people in off topic are pretty touchy and arguementive about the little things. I find that weird and uncalled for. Oh well.....

19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Member: Please see the post on this thread titled "My Take". This thread fits within Miscellaneous just fine.

Maybe someone should start a thread in OT called "Why are there so many music related threads in Off-Topic?" (Not that i'm complaining about it.)

Shouldn't that have been the question from the get-go?

20. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Does anyone else have a feeling this thread wasn't such a good idea? Is this discussion constructive?