1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Misconstrued Intent Thread. An experiment in tolerance.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 96tbird, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

There's a lot of this around here, you say something you and your intent is misconstrued and the fight begins. The problem lies with the discussion being written and not spoken; without seeing the face of the person, it's difficult to gauge intent.

On this thread, if you care to, post that which can easily be construed as inflammatory or spiteful. This is where you can come and blow off steam. Argue away all for fun. But keep it within the posting rules: you know what the consequences are.

I'll begin.

Most of TB wouldn't know what satire is if it bit you on the butt.

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Most TB'ers are American.

3. Most take the interwebs too serious (something I've also been guilty of).

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Pppphhhhhwwwwwwwwtt.

4. Your face is American.

5. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Oh I'm sorry, this is "Abuse". "Arguments" is next door.

6. No it isn't.

7. 96tbird

You see, you are all weak, this is just the kind of stupidity I have come to expect here.

Edit: Yes it is.

8. Oh look, this isn't an argument, it's just contradiction.

9. Pffftttt. Canadians.

10. No it isn't

11. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

12. ur mom

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    All jokes aside, I think the main problem is twofold ; people use the anonymity of being behind a computer screen to be more blunt than they'd otherwise be and on the other hand, readers don't tend to give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

So many of those (pointless) fights could be so easily avoided if people would preface their comments with "I'm not sure if you meant X, but..."

14. 96tbird

Quit yer whining, professor.

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do the French refer to us as 'Stupid TB'ers'?

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So how do you say things that are inflammatory and spiteful yet stay within the forum rules?

-Mike

17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    What people don't do when they type, is intentionally include inflection, tone and facial expression. I thought that's why smilies exist.

18. 96tbird

It happens all the time, civil but heated arguements break out and no one gets banned if you don't directly insult someone. Here, you can directly insult another poster because that's the intent of the thread. I hope it doesn't get messed up like the "stereotyoe" thread that's currently populated by a bunch of apes that don't know how to stereotype. Pinhead.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh, that's nice. Have fun.

-Mike

20. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    I don't know but they certainly refer to us Brits in ways that are often not very polite. Now there's a whole can of worms.