Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miserable hiss in black widow cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freddylang, Feb 26, 2003.

1. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I purchased a 15" black widow cab from Daddy's Junkie Music about a year ago and really haven't needed it much and basically haven't used it. The only time I used it is when I was jamming with some friends at high levels. I noticed a lot of hiss before but I chalked it up to the loudness, possibly bad speaker cables, and channel noise from my Nightbass. I recently fired it back up with different cables and the hiss is so loud it's miserable! It is still loud as can be it just sounds like wind blowing through a microphone! Was this thing broken when I got it? Am I a moron for not sending it back? Is there anything else it could be? I power it with a T-Max 210 combo which is crystal clear and has had no problems.

2. I'd chalk that up to your amp, although I don't know how your combo amp can sound fine, but the 15" BW can put out tons of hiss. We are talking about hissing when you are not playing, right? If it is only making a ton of extra distortion when you are playing, it is probably a blown speaker or rubbing voice coil.

If it is making this noise when you are not playing any notes, then the amp is the one making the hissing noise, the speaker is just letting you hear it. Maybe the BW is much louder than the 2-10's?

Does the BW cab have a tweeter? Is it turned all the way up (if that's a possibility).

Weird.

Anyway, I'll gladly buy the cab from you for really cheap money.

Chris

3. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    As soon as I plug it in it starts. If that much hiss is normal for a BW then they are crap. I don't really believe that though. I need to find another amp to hook it up to for a test.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    It wont be the speaker, there's no way a speaker can induce hiss.
    It's probably a much more efficient unit than the 2x10's.
    What kind of amp is it?

5. It's your amp. The speaker just does what it's told to do by the power amp. A speaker does not cause hiss.

Black Widow's are actually really good, and that's why you are hearing the underlying crappiness (noisiness) of your amp.

Chris

6. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    It's a T-Max 210 Combo.

7. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    OK, it's my amp but the amp sounds great alone. Could it just be the plug that I hook the cab into?

8. Probably not. For some reason the hiss just isn't coming through the 10's.

Does the 15" cab have a tweeter? Usually that explains a more prominent hiss. The Black Widow is copied from a JBL, so it does have a lot of high-frequency response for a 15" speaker. That may explain it.

I'd say try another amp into your 15" cab, and try another cab with your amp to see if it hisses too. Then you'll know for sure what's at fault.

Chris

9. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I'll have to take all my stuff to the local shop to test it. I don't have any other bassist friends in town. Has anyone ever heard of no problems with the combo alone and hiss from the cab once it is hooked up?