1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Misleading SPL Ratings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobalu, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have an Ashdown ABM 210 cabinet that I'm using with my EVO ll head. Love it, no complaints, no problems. I want a second cab and can't decide between another ABM 210 (for a 410 type of rig) or the ABM 115 (compact). I have a line on one or the other so I'm not really interested in other brands.

My question: I noticed that there is a considerable difference between the SPL ratings of each cabinet (102 for the 210 vs. 97 for the 115). Is that a fair comparison using SPL? I mean, isn't the measurement taken at a specific frequency that would be different for each of those cabinets? I also read somewhere that the manufacturers usually will choose the freq. with the highest SPL to publish, which may not be the tuned freq. of the cabinet (I'm not a tech head in case you couldn't tell!).

Bottom line, is it fair to say the 210 is a louder cab, so choose it?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At the very least, to make a meaningful comparison, you need a graph of SPL versus frequency for each speaker. A rating of 102 for a 210 seems optimistic.