1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Mismatched knobs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Sep 7, 2020.

1. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Go for it. If you don’t like it, it’s a very reversible modification. ;)

zontar and TortoiseBass like this.
  3. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Thanks! It’ll be my first mod! Btw, do mods go in a different forum to this? I couldn’t think of another one to put it in.

After all, if I don’t like it it’ll be the first thing in the parts box!

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe Accessories, but I believe knobs are Hardware.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I don''t see an issue with it--it may bother some OCD people, but it's your bass, not theirs.

All mine match--but I have replaced some for different types.
    And I have a guitar with a "Tone" knob on the volume pot & a "Volume" knob on the Tone pot--but that happened by accident--and when I saw it--I left it.

TortoiseBass and Bob E like this.
  6. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    I did it, looks cool:
    image.jpg

P A U L and Slater like this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    When I bought my son his first Stratoid when he was about 10 or 11, he also wanted different knobs. So one of the first mods we did was to go to a hardware store and look at all the kinds of knobs available (when you could still do that sort of thing - I think we went to Radio Shack). I told him and showed him of the selection which ones would fit and why, and which ones wouldn't and why. He chose a few to try and swap around. A great time was had by all.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I forgot to mention to the OP: you are in good company. John Lennon changed the treble pickup knob on at least a couple of his guitars so he would know which one was which, as many of the electric guitars he played, at least on stage, were Rickenbacker and later Epiphone, with four knobs each.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  9. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Oh that’s actually really cool!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021