1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mismatched speakers a problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trackskinz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Looking for a cab, found a mesa boogie 215.
    The guy says "it has one 400w EV (oem) and one 350w Black Widow". Assuming they are both 8ohm, is this an issue?

2. Hard to say. May sound fine, may sound like poo.

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    probably. but not necessarily. only way to know is to try it out--i would not invest too much cash into it myself.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My Peavey cab with a Black Widow was 4 ohms.:eyebrow: Just sayin'...

5. +1

6. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Sound is easy enough to check - I was concerned about a mismatched load, but that only depends on impedance, correct?

7. yes.

Those are two very different sounding speakers and that cab might not be tuned/sized ideally for the BW so that's something to keep in mind when you're listening to it.

8. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    From what you describe, it appears that the cabinet is intended to be a four ohm box.
    (Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel)

It might sound like a farting cow, but if your amp can handle four ohms, you'll be fine.

9. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Sound is easy enough to check - I was concerned about a mismatched load, but that only depends on impedance, correct?

10. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    What kind of stuff should I listen for? All I have ever had was single speaker combos.

11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Assuming you know your bass itself doesn't have quiet or dead spots, play up and down the fretboard looking for any inconsistencies in volume. Quiet or dull spots could indicate phase cancellation due to response deltas at certain frequencies. Your ears are perfectly adequate to measure for this.

12. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Very good! Thank you.

13. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    is the cab priced at a point where, in the future, reloading it with two new drivers is an option?

14. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    $400

15. I paid less then that for a Roadready 2X15 with the correct speakers, so I would say it is too high.

16. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    i wouldnt touch it...certainly not for $400

1. any given driver has an optimum cabinet size and its highly unlikely that the replaced speaker requires the same cab volume as the original.
    2. speakers are unmatched in efficiency and phase response.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If they're both in the same cab, sharing the same airspace, that can be a real problem. Worse than just stacking different cabs together where mayne they sound alright, maybe they don't. Having them sharing the same space like that can cause some real interference, possibly causing you to keep cranking knobs looking for sound that's just not going to be there and blowing things up.

IMO, dude's just probably hoping the Mesa name is enough to sell it, as if the logo makes the tone better or something. I'd pass, or at least tell him it needs the correct speakers before you'll buy it.