Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mismatched Tuner/Bushings (Old vs. New Fender)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Apr 29, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem... I just got a '62 J Reissue neck from Fender, and want to put some old tuners on it. The problem is that the old bushings are too small for the pre-drilled holes in the headstock, and the new bushings that came with the neck are too tight for the old tuners (actually, a couple are too tight to fit at all, and the other two fit but are very snug). Here are the measurements:

old tuner post diameter: 0.560"

old bushing OD: 0.691"
    old bushing ID: 0.570"

new bushing OD: 0.740"
    new bushing ID: 0.556"​

So, I guess basically I need to get bushings that are the same outer diameter as the new ones (~3/4") so they fit in the headstock holes, and the same inner diameter as the old ones (no smaller than 0.570") so they accommodate the old tuners. I haven't been able to find a solution in my searching so far.

Since the new ones ALMOST work, I'm tempted to ream them out slightly, but that of course would ruin the finish, and doesn't seem to be the best solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, after contacting a half dozen Fender parts suppliers, and again getting zero response to this question, I decided the best thing to do would be to make the holes in the headstock smaller... so I did! Four pieces of flat toothpick glued into each hole did the trick so well, I had to use channel locks to get the old ferrules pressed into place. So, needless to say, they are nice and snug. :) I love it when a plan comes together.

3. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    :) Thanks, man! Ain't no thang... TB's such a great resource -- even if we don't have all the answers, we're always there for each other. Funny how bass players are like that, eh?