mismatching impedences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 16, 2006.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I ordered a Genz Benz 410-XB2 4 ohm cabinet this past weekend, with the intention of adding a Genz Benz 115T-XB2 (an 8 ohm cabinet) and GBE750 later on. After talking with a friend, he insisted this was not wise, because he had been told mismatching impedences can damage an amp. I know this 4 ohm and 8 ohm combination would give me 2.67 ohms (or 2.666 if you're xjasonsmithx :rolleyes: ). My question is is this true? Would running uneven impedences damage my head, even if it could run at 2 ohms? If so, what are some possible solutions to this problem? Having the 4x10 rewired? Adding another 8 ohm cabinet?
  2. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    If your head can get to 2 ohms, then you should be ok. It's a minimum impedance, not a target.

At least this is what I have gathered from past discussions?
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

Not a bit. It's possible that the result might not be to your liking, as one cab will receive more power than the other. Then again, you might like the results just fine.

THIS is what you must be sure of. All the head will "know" is that it's connected to a 2.67 ohm load. If your head can go down to 2 ohms, you have no worries.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No problem combining cabinets, your amp is completely stable to any impedance 2 ohms and above. Play away!