Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mispronunciations......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    .... this thread is the child of the moog thread.

few things annoy me more than when somebody corrects my speech by telling me that something I pronounce the way the majority of the world pronounces it, is wrong. "uh hem... that's actually pronounced...." ie. moog is pronounced "moag" not "moog".

seeing as it's silly that such a thing would annoy me so much, i feel it's time i get past it. i therefore wish to start this thread of words that the world pronounces incorrectly!

my 1st contribution:

neal peart
    pronounced "peert" not "pert".

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    How about Jaco, pronounced Jocko, not Jack-o.

I still pronounce it Jack-o, as does everyone I've ever spoken to about him.

With an English accent, saying Jock-o would sound a little silly :D

And for the UK guys - Bucket. Should be pronounced Bouquet :D

Also, if anyone can tell me the correct pronunciation for Hejira...

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    hah! i always thought the jaco one was the other way around. pronounced Jocko, not Jacko.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That only works with an American accent. Imagine how Jocko would be pronounced by an American.

Sounds a little more elegant than the English or Australian pronunciation :D

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How about "especailly"? There is no additional c after the first e. Also, you pronounce "ask" with the s before the k, not vice-versa.

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    How about 'Ryu' off street fighter, I always used to say 'rii-oo' and my mate would correct me 'its ree-oo'.

(I know I'm probably wrong but ah well).

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Do people actually pronounce it "aks"? :confused:

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Nuclear.

Noo-kleer.

Not noo-kyoo-lur.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    In America? Oh yeah. "I akst him this." Sort of an urban mispronounciation, but it's there nonetheless.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I used to hear that it was supposed to be pronounced "Roo."

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Weird.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    At our most recent gigs, we've added Bob Marley's Redemption Song to our list, which has one of our vocalists singing about e-man-ti-ci-pa-tion rather than e-man-ci-pa-tion.

Of course, I haven't actually heard the original so the singer may be copping Mr Marley's phrasing. However, the fact remains that the latter is a word that makes sense in the context of the song while the former is not...

Wulf

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You haven't heard Redemption Song yet? Wow, that's worse of a crime than mispronouncing it! :eek: :)

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    my pet hate is also one that I know I mis pronounce too!

IRON....

Actually pronounced EYE-RON, and not as most of the world says EYE-ORN.....

Or is it just me????:eek:

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't even pronounce the R.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You must talk about charged particles a lot when you are actually taking the creases out of your clothes;) :D

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I learned that the R is mute, but I may be wrong, you know how it is with foreign language stuff in schools :meh:

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed. I do in fact get the creases out of my clothes using charged particles :D

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Kinda like my point above ,how would you tell the difference betweena charged particle (ion) and the thing you take creases out of your clothes with (iron) - you could of course be right in that it has lost something in the translation!

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    :cool: