1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

miss my Bongo(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Mar 3, 2016.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I have been lucky enough to own a few Bongos...all 3 were HH models. (I have yet to see a non HH model in person...i bought all 3 HH models in Canada and wonder if many other configurations were shipped north due to rarity...

Anyways...miss that playability and sound...
    Thinking of dropping MUCH more than I paid for my Canuck Bongos to pick one up here in China....

Hope for some Bongo sharing...

2. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    A new one would be more than all 3 of my previous Bongos combined (over 3K here...)

3. They're great basses. The evenness of sound across all the strings on a bongo is underrated I think, and I've never played one with a weak or dead spot. They also do a real nice job on the neck shape. In point of fact I've never loved mine though, and might try to sell it soon. I've had some issues with neck stability, and something about the tone never quite clicked for me. Still, I gigged it a lot and I'm sure I'd miss it simply because it looks so cool :)

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You sound like me when I used to reminisce about my old Ken Smith and Yamaha TRB6. Why did you let your Bongos go?

5. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I love mine. Used to have an HH stealth but never got comfortable with the HH configuration. This one rules though. Neptune blue HSp with roasted maple neck.

image2.

Shortie, ed morgan, pudgychef and 4 others like this.
  6. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd LOVE to get my mitts on a neptune blue 5'er with that roasted maple..... So. Awesome.

I love my carbon blue 5 HS. I'd been drooling over these things for a decade before I finally grabbed one.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, I've had 4 Bongos now. Only one is left.
    It started with a Black Pearl 5 string HH. It was a nice bass and was my entry into EBMM basses as a whole. I forget why, but I sold it - likely GAS induced.
    Later, I ended up with three more - a Black Sparekly color (forget the official name) EBMM Ball Family Reserve 5 HHp, a Silver 6 HS and my Red Sparkle 5 HSp Fretless.

The only one that remains is the fretless. Everything else has been replaced by Dingwalls. Bongos are great basses and are positioned at an interesting price point. Just as an example, I can usually pick up a used Canadian Dingwall for less than a new Bongo. A used Bongo will be less of course. One thing that was an attraction to the Bongos was the even tone and feel across the strings, as well as the pretty versatile preamp. What made me walk away was finding something that did all of that a bit better (for me). The fretless has stayed because it is still a great bass, and I really enjoy it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. I had a bongo,ordered it, waited about 5 months for them to build it. Played one gig with it and sold it. Luckily because it was made for me it was a one of a kind and pretty much only lost out on shipping cost.

I definetly prefer the stingray.

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    That black sparkly color BFR was called black sugar. I had a Big Al from that run.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Thanks! I knew it had a somewhat funny name, just could not remember what it was exactly. It was a pretty cool color, especially when stage lights would hit it.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why not just buy another used Bongo? EBMM has great build quality and they sell for a fraction of their new price. You could probably get two and cover shipping to China for $3K (USD, not CDN).

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Remember how often private sellers here at TB refuse to sell outside of America?

pudgychef and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Any musician friends here? They could buy it and ship it to you.

Just a thought.

DiabolusInMusic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'm in Canada and I have to deal with that nonsense regularly. Thankfully, not all members are jerks and some are willing to deal globally, myself included. On a side note, I always get a kick out of people who refuse to ship to Canada and then have to let the item sit, eventually getting less than I offered them to send it to Canada.

pudgychef and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Couple of them were sold when I moved to China. The stealth I sold when I got the green one...couldn't justify three and it was one of the stealths with a very.brown fretboard...just clashed with the matte black and became the odd one out. (Also was easiest sale as I got it at the Cosmo Music auction for 650.

16. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thanks for the replies - for some reason the internet in my Shanghai hotel won't let me quote or reply to specific posts right now...

China is amazing..but the internet stifling can be frustrating at times.

@DiabolusInMusic I have thought of buying a used one and having it shipped over...two problems tend to be the lack of willingness to ship outside US and the length restriction based on shipper (couple major couriers cap the length to North Asian countries at just under the length of a bass in case..so much intl deals are easiest to complete with the neck removed....the one I am looking at for $1300 is well used...but the only option I have come across less than $3K..

@Selta Dingwalls? Would love to try one...but not an option here...where do you come across these well priced used Ds? Would jump all over a 4 -string with P/Ray/Bongo nut width...J neck is not my deal..

@buldog5151bass sadly any folks I know here would be in Canada...so likely no savings with currency exchange etc....

@muggsy that is gorgeous...would love to try that set up - really would love a 4H as well.....

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm surprised you can't find a Dingwall in China because their Combustion series is made in China.

18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I have found China to be a lot like Korea in terms of domestically produced gear availability. Typically, the best items produced here are not available for local purchase and the decent stuff that is sold here (i.e. Classic Vibe Squires) are significantly more...like a CV 60s P is well between $500-600 USD even 2 yrs ago...While I can find Canadian Dingwalls...never seen a Combustion here in person or on-line...

I remember moving to Korea in the early 2000s and expecting killer priced Epiphones, etc..(Tribute G and Ls, Skylines, Conklin etc..)..typically not available and if they were, higher priced than back home...

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a bummer.

pudgychef likes this.
  20. Muggsy, what type of music do you use the Neptune Blue HSp for, and does it work well for you? I remember when the first PDN Bongos (Bongi?) came out and players spoke about how its Mahogany body & Rosewood Fretboard was too midrange heavy and that for such a futuristic design it was very much suited for R'B and "non-aggressive" styles.

I'd imagine the Alder and Roasted Maple Neck & Fretboard would be very well suited for the styles that the first PDN failed at, but I'd love to get your take on it.