Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

miss my drummer

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Diana, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Diana

Diana

Sep 11, 2000
    anyone have any cool riffs, songs, finger exercises, etc. that will help me escape boredom? I am currently without a band- I work nights, and it's very hard to find people to jam with at 9 am! I try to play 1 to 2 hours daily, but I'm getting kinda restless playing by myself....
    (please don't say drum machine!!!!)
    (please!)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dddrrrrrrruuuummmmm MACHINE!!!

:D

or, how 'bout everybody's favorite

METRONOME!!!

3. Machine Drum.........

4. Diana

Diana

Sep 11, 2000
    acckkkk!!!!
    no drum machine
    no no no no nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

5. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Diana- I've never used one myself. I'd like to know why you're allergic. :) Ever considered a day job? ;)

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    perhaps....a rhythm droid....:D

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I do believe there was a "Bernard Purdie" software modification that was available for the R2 series droids, hard to come by on Tatooine though.....:D

kesslari likes this.
  8. Just get the sound of a machine gun, loop it, and use it as the sound of a drummer how got WAY too into it. That will teach you fast finger work.

Rock on
    Eric

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You could also substitute the sound of a helicopter...:D

10. Diana

Diana

Sep 11, 2000
    **sigh****

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How about recording on your own...?
    When I'm on a break I just fire up either my Cubase 5 or the new Nuendo from Steinberg and fiddle around w/ it using my bass, samples and some softsynths...even with a cheap prog like Cool Edit you can do some great stuff...

Or try to learn some new techniques that are new to you...Jaco's or Victor Wooten's records provide a lifetime amount of stuff...it's hard to give tips as you don't tell anything about your skills and/or musical interests...

...or simply place an ad at the local music store or newspaper...it's in the wrong topic, btw...this is the jokes department.

<center> [​IMG] </center>

<center><i><b><big>A Show of Hands</b></i></big></center>

[Edited by JMX on 09-15-2000 at 07:35 AM]

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, we're all being wiseacres, i know. seriously, though, you need to consider some kind of rhythm accompaniment for your practices. drum machine or metronome, or computerized sequencer - you can compose simple drum parts to play along with. this will increase your MUSICAL knowledge along with making you a better bass player. if you practice without it, you're not really doing much for yourself. like practicing drawing a straight line without any kind of straight edge.

as for other exercises, when i have been in ruts before, i would try to learn something really different, this might work for you too. take a song that you like, and try to learn the melody on bass, and play along with the recording.

set up a disciplined, regimented practice schedule - only needs to be about an hour long each day. set up 15 minute blocks of the following

1. work on various scales, playing clearly and cleanly, each note, along with a metronome/drum machine/sequencer. as you play each note, sing it's note name to yourself - improves your ear, as well as helps you learn the fretboard.

2. work on finger exercises, with a metronome - put your hand at a section of the neck where you can comfortably fret 1 finger per fret, and play, 1 finger per fret, from the high strings to the low strings and back, index/middle/ring/pinkie, and then pinkie/ring/middle/index, and then alternate the order. then move your hand a fret higher and repeat, across the strings. sing the note names that you play, and play with a metronome.

3. since bass is mainly an accompaniment instrument, meaning it is intended to be played with other people, it would be good for you to find some midi sequences to play on your computer, that you could play your bass along with. these should be chords and instruments, but not bass, and you should spend time composing or improvising parts to play along with them. write out your parts using standard musical notation. do not use tab.

4. reward yourself with songs you actually like, play along with recordings that you like.

there are many good sites for lessons on the web - regardless of your skill level, you can get a great deal of information that will help you.

one of my favorites that i refer people to often is http://www.libster.com. this site has excellent lessons on all aspects of playing bass.

good luck.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Howdy,
    I know for jazz, you can get the Jamey Abersold editions where you can turn the bass off by panning to the right, or left and play along. They come with the sheet music. I noticed in your profile that you list P-Nut as an influence, so I don't know if that would help or not. They might have some "play along in the style of" discs at the chain music stores. But, I have a drum machine to practice with if I want to work on chops. It is more interesting than a metronome, and less irritating than an actual drummer (kidding).

J

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "I noticed in your profile that you list P-Nut as an influence"

Ah....what IS a... "P-nut"? :)

15. This may sound cheap,but,when I used to play classical guitar my instructor told me to tap my foot so that I would develop my internal rhythm.Sometimes you may not have a drum machine or a metronome handy.Also,if you can get a hold of some Bass Player mags,the Woodshed section is very informative and free.Great advice from the pros for next to nothing.The senior members of this site are also a great resource of information.

16. Diana

Diana

Sep 11, 2000
    thank you thank you thank you! I will try the above mentioned ideas....except maybe the machine gun/helicopter thing....
    Deynn, P-Nut is the bass player for 311. I don't know what kind of music you're into, but as a bass player you may appreciate P-Nut's playing and style, even if you don't happen to like the music. He's a crazy, spanky M***F***
    (read:slap and pop bass). (kinda like Flea, but I like P-Nut more....)

17. To Diana:Glad we could help.I must admit, John T. has a truck load of info!!!P-nut,P-nut,P-nut.....................

18. Google "Drum beats" i like the 120 BPM myself :)
    Just work the scale all over that -website you can pick all kinds of speeds and go at it!

19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    pros not bros
    I had to go with a drum machine on a project for the first time in the mid 1990s. My drummer had left town the previous year. I hated it. Then I started learning how to use it. Helps that I played drums back in high school.

Fast forward 20 years, I have a nice kit and about a quarter of my gigs are as a drummer, and I get calls ALL THE TIME to do drum programming for people. And these programming gigs are VERY lucrative. I keep my prices sky high to keep out the no-talents. I get calls anyway.

You never know...

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I hope she found something by now.