Miss Wheelchair Wisconsin...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/01/ms.wheelchair.ap/

So, here's the gist.

Miss Wheelchair Wisconsin wins her title. She's a teacher. There's a picture in a local paper of her standing up (holding on to a desk, helping a student). The 'governing board' of the Miss Wheelchair pageant strips her of her title. The lady can briefly stand and walk like a total of 50 steps a day. The runner-up in the pageant declined to take the title because she thought it was BS about her getting her title stripped.
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I thought it was pretty funny actually, First you had the line from the pagent organizers " Well people who are in a wheelchair will get offended, if they see her get up" for God's sake she has MS, it's probobly not going to get better!! Made me think of the Sienfeld episode when George was using the Wheelchair so he could get access to the "better" handicapped bathrooms! :D
  3. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    sigh...i'm all for standing up...pun not intended...for your rights, rightful place in society, respect, whatever, but this seems to be another case of '(holier/smarter/handicappeder/whattheheckeverer than thou'. sheeeeeeeesh.... :help:
    THIS AIN'T CARTMAN, PEOPLE! (yelling directed at those well-meaning but misguided advocate types)