1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missed a Court Date, what next?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 3, 2007.

1. OK, here's what happened. A little over a month ago, I was with a friend of mine. He had a few drinks, so I was driving his car. We were headed to a diner for a late-nite meal when we got pulled over because the tail lights were broken.
    The cop was nice and all, but he got a summons. If we fixed the lights and brought a receipt proving it to court, there was no fine and we were off the hook.
    However, since it was his car (and I had never been given a ticket before), I gave it to him and he said he would take care of it.
    He fixed the lights on time, but the dumbass forgot to go to court. So I got a letter saying that I missed the court date and have to go back for another date tomorrow.
    Both of us screwed up:
    A--I didn't realise the ticket was in my name since the problem was with HIS car (instead of, say, a speeding ticket which would have been all me).
    B--He screwed up cause he didn't go to court.

So what can I expect at the next court date? A fine? Worse?
    I've never had to go to court before and I'm just a little nervous. He still has the original ticket and the reciept from when he fixed the lights so hopefully they'll just dismiss it, but I'm still a little nervous.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Nothing horrible. Take the ticket, take his car, find a cop and get him to sign it off. Then go to court clerk, pay the fine (maybe instead of 10$ fine it will be 20$) and it should be ok. I would not worry about it. Happened to me few times too, of course it all depends on where you at, but i don't see anything to worry about. :)

3. jailpic.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I'll take your mugshot and raise you:

cornhole..w300h222.

http://www.bullpoopiejob.com/officespace/laurence.jpg

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Beat this.

10180188_b56ef7d76b.

6. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I would call the courthouse first thing tomorrow morning

and hahahah @ Brian Peppers

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Don't fret about it. Main thing is to actually show up this time. Judges get really pissed when it looks as if someone is ignoring their authority - and they're often quite forgiving when you can demonstrate conscientiousness & good faith...

Just bring the ticket and the receipt for the repair work with you to court - along with an honest explanation about why you flaked. Then be prepared to pay a modest fine - which the court may even waive - if it even gets as far as that...

MM

8. nick_nolte.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Content of ugly huh?

Fine:

britneyvid110806_600x403.

She said so herself.

10. And who could forget....

pee-wee-herman.

11. The bounty hunters will be after you. :p

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Your going to a FPMITAP, no doubt.

[​IMG]

Get Ready!

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Some real winners here.

14. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Threw up a little in my mouth I laughed so hard.

Most likely, because this occured while driving, it's a moving violation. Where I live, missing court for a moving violation = bench warrant for your arrest.

Before you freak out on that, lemme explain. The city I live in is home to two courts, the court of both the city and the parish (that's Louisiana-ease for county). I got a ticket for no signal ($151) and went to the wrong court. Sat all day. Missed my date, technically. Bench warrant for my arrest.

Translation, if they pull you over again, you're spending the night in a cell. But, since you plan on setting it right, you shouldn't have a problem. Just go pay your fine and understand, in the future, that a ticket (i.e. moving violation) falls on the head of the person behind the wheel, regardless of who's car it is.

The same logic applies if you're holding contraband that "belongs" to someone else. It's in your possession when the officer finds you, it's your behind.

That is all.

15. ^Around here, broken tail lights are not a moving violation.
    Anyway, I went to court with the friend who was there (the owner of the car), and talked to the judge. He looked at the date on the original ticket and the date on the receipt from when he fixed the lights. The ticket was dated 11/16, the repair date was 11/17, he saw that and said, "OK, dismissed on repair, have a nice night".
    No arrest warrant, no fine, no nothing. I worry too much.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The only time I was pulled over was for a broken license plate light. I was lucky enough to get off the hook for that one. :rolleyes:

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You get to meet MikeMoney in prison?

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    And become his "Love toy".

19. Nice...